• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Level Questions

Reaction score
Salam everybody,

I've just finished my O-Levels this session (still waiting for my results) and have decided to study AS and eventually A levels. I intend to study Electrical Engineering from a University in Pakistan (not decided yet, feel free to give me suggestions, preferably in Karachi though).
I will Insha'allah be taking Math, Physics, Chemistry and ICT in AS-Levels. However, I am confused about Maths. Can someone explain to me what Pure Math, Mechanics and Probability&Statistics modules are and which one would be most beneficial to me. Can someone also tell me about Advance Math.

Any help would greatly be appreciated :]

Reaction score
Hi Carbonate (nice name)
The math section is actually a bit confusing. If you intend to take the Whole A Level, you have several approaches to do so.
For AS Level, you can take one of the three options
1. Take Pure 1 & M1
2. Pure 1 & S1
3. Pure 1 & Pure 3 .

For A2
1. Pure 3(if not taken) and M2
2. Pure 3(if not taken) and S2
3. Pure 3(if not taken) and M1(if not taken)
4. Pure 3)if not taken) and S1(if not taken).

For example. I took AS P1 and S1 and I intend to take P3 and S2 for A2. Or I can take P3 and M1.

For choosing which units, I think for AS you should take P1. Which is just a little bit harder than IGCSE or O-Level. For the second unit, it depends on your strengths and future goals. If you tend to become an engineer you should take Mechanics. My teacher said learning Mechanics while learning Physics can be helpful for both subjects. However, if you intend to become an economist. I suggest you to take statistics, in which there would be some similarities. S1 & M1 are similar in exam formats, both having around 6-7 questions.
As a S1 student, there are easy topics and hard topics. I do not know about Mechanics.

I hope the topic is well explained.

P.S. About the Further Math, I have not taken any so do not have the right to speak of. However, I heard it is a combination of Mechanics and Statistics and Pure Maths questions for AS.