• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS maths mechanics friction question

Reaction score
a) A girl sitting on a wooden board slides down a line of greatest slope, which is inclined at 10degrees to the horizontal, on a snow-covered mountain. The combined mass of the girl and the board is 65 kg, and the magnitude of the frictional force between the board and the slope is 125 N. Air resistance may be ignored. Show that the coefficient of friction between the board and the slope is 0.20 (2 s.f), and verify that the girl and the board are slowing down.

b) The girl passes a point A travelling at 5ms. Calculate her speed at the point B, where B is 40m down the slope form A.

c) Later in the day the girl, still sitting on the board, is pulled up the same slope, with constant speed, by a rope inclined at 30degrees above the horizontal. The surface of the slope may now be assumed to be smooth. Calculate the magnitude of the force exerted on the board by the slope.

Please explain your answer so that I can understand it, thank you. =)

i have solved part a and b.. just part c i can't solved it.. the answer given is 599N ..

can someone help me .. i tried part c for almost 1hour :cry: ..

Reaction score
hey nice to hear you solved it yourself! otherwise this friction part is most irritating in whole mechanics!
I have been solving questions involving resolving of forces and friction,literally, for whole nights! And thank God was successful in the end!