• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

asd

Reaction score
sorry was talking about all the answers of tubeA... my bad :x
i got the answers absent; present;absent; absent for starch
and absent; absent; present; present for reducing sugars.
where did maltose come in here 4rm? :O
So i guess i was right. Maltose from digestion of starch by amylase! (see the question says there is saliva in the tubing)

Reaction score
So i guess i was right. Maltose from digestion of starch by amylase! (see the question says there is saliva in the tubing)

sorry to break it to you but maltose does not go through the visking tubing...BIG PARTICLES!! :D

Reaction score
sorry to break it to you but maltose does not go through the visking tubing...BIG PARTICLES!! :D
Its simple ..the saliva has enzyme amylase which will act on starch and starch is broken down to reducing sugars which diffuse out of visking tube :p

asd

Reaction score
maltose can't? well it has to because there's no way maltose will be broken down to glucose since there's no maltase there!

asd

Reaction score
smaller molecules R: particles etc. pass through ;
water always goes through ;
so does glucose/maltose/reducing sugar ;
not sucrose/starch ;

Reaction score
smaller molecules R: particles etc. pass through ;
water always goes through ;
so does glucose/maltose/reducing sugar ;
not sucrose/starch ;

dude....only monosacharides can pass thru the tubing and maltose is a disacharide made up of glucose molecules so it cant diffuse...thats why our body breaks the starch down to Glucose to be absorbed NOT maltose...:)

asd

Reaction score
dude....only monosacharides can pass thru the tubing and maltose is a disacharide made up of glucose molecules so it cant diffuse...thats why our body breaks the starch down to Glucose to be absorbed NOT maltose...:)
It can diffuse, though not as easily as glucose. Use your mind, there's no maltase in saliva, where will glucose come from?