• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
We've gone through this a couple of times now. The sulphate ion SO2 (2-) is the more stable ion than hydroxide so the sodium displaces the copper to form a bond with the preferred stable sulphate ion.
how to check if it i more stable? By this series? SO2, NO3, Cl,Br, OH?

Reaction score
37 If 1 mole of each alkane is completely burned in oxygen, which will provide 7 moles of products?
A CH4
B C2H6
C C3H8
D C4H10

5070_w12_qp_12.

Reaction score
37 If 1 mole of each alkane is completely burned in oxygen, which will provide 7 moles of products?
A CH4
B C2H6
C C3H8
D C4H10

5070_w12_qp_12.
Use the equation __CO3 + __H2O.
Now, for 7 products, from the options, the only one that fits is C, i.e. 3CO2 + 4H2O from the C3H8.

Reaction score
how does the amount of carbon in steel affect the strength of steel???
and its brittleness???
The higher the carbon, the harder the steel but the more brittle it is, too.
Think of it this way, something that is very hard is also very stiff and does not bend easily. If you try to bend it, it will break - like a pencil. But a soft thing - like an eraser - will bend without breaking and is thus less brittle.

Reaction score
Please don't mislead people. This is the second time you are doing it. Confirm first then answer. Thanks.

More Carbon = More Strong, Less Brittle.

You're the pot calling the kettle black. Stop misleading others, man.
Here's what the syllabus says:

"describe steels as alloys which are a mixture of iron with carbon or other metals and how controlled
use of these additives changes the properties of the iron, e.g. high carbon steels are strong but
brittle whereas low carbon steels are softer and more easily shaped"​

Reaction score
What about June 2003 P1 Q.28.?

Ah, I know what's confusing you. If you're using Redspot past papers, they've given the wrong answer. It's A actually. It's given correctly in Classified and my teacher also marked it correct when it came in our test. It's A, not B.

Reaction score
TheFinalFront are there any other wrong answers in RedSpot? :(
I regret to say yes. You're best off using the marking scheme. If you have problems with questions before the marking scheme, you can discuss them here. The biggest mistake I've ever seen in Redspot is the question 11 from paper 1 of June 1999. It should be A but they've given it as B. I argued for a whole period with my teacher about it before he understood my point. *facepalm*