• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology!-->Denaturation of proteins!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum!
I want to check whether this definition is correct or not: It is the loss of 3D stucture due to the effect of strong acid,alkalis ,heavy metals,heat radiations,organic solvents,detergents...etc and they will no longer work!!
Plz tell me soon or give one if u have a better one!!

Reaction score
Walaikumusalam
well the 3D structures of proteins are maintained by the bonds in the tertiary structure
so in my book, it says that ionic and hydrogen bonds are broken by high temperatures and pH changes, and disulphide bonds are broken by the reducing agents.
so donno wheather ur one is correct or not. :(

Reaction score
It's pretty vague at the end, I just say it is the loss of the proteins specific 3D shape because of it vibrating too strongly.
The bonds (ionic, hydrogen) holding its shape in the tertiary structure are broken by high temp and pH.
This will cause them to lose their function and not be able to carry out their function.