• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology ----Functions of Lipids!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum!!
I am in need of help once again :)
One function of lipids is given as follows
Storage - lipids are non-polar and so are insoluble in water.
Now can somebody tell that how's the solubility linked with storage??
Is it bcoz like starch is a storage compound in plants...so similarly lipids being insoluble are also used for storage??
Jazak Allah Khairen!!

Reaction score
lipids has a gr8 energy content due to high proportion of C-H...since it is insoluble, it does not interfere with the osmotic properties of the cell..thus, it is a good storage compound..

Reaction score
The fluidity of a membrane is due to the effects of a special class of lipids called phospholipids. A phospholipid has the same structure as a triglyceride ,but with one of the fatty acid tails replaced by a phosphate group. The phosphate group makes phospholipids hydrophilic (water-lovers). Phospholipid molecules can pair up to for a bilayer. This leaves the outside of the bilayer hydrophilic and the inside hydrophobic (water-hating).

Now the more unsaturated (the ones with more C=C double bonds) the phospholipids are, the greater the fluidity of the membrane.

............feel free to ask me (by forum/PM) any questions related to biochemistry becuz i simply love biochemistry
~Current CIE A2 biology student