• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology help needed once again =)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum!!
About the collagen...it's written in the book ''the end of the parallel molecules are staggered otherwise a weak spot would be running across the collagen fibre''
Please can someone explain what is meant by staggered and weak spot!!
Jazak ALlah Khairen!! :)

Reaction score
yea collagen structure , i cant undrstand also.the book explanation is very difficult to undrstnd.cn any1 explain it in easy words ???

Reaction score
did u guys find it????
i searches it bt it only says that fibrils are held by the covalent bonds...stagger stuff wasnt there. :eek:
jaldi bataao anyoneee!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
i didnt search it even :p
@larina i didnt know u cud speak urdu...i thought u r egyptian :)

Reaction score
so come on and search it math angel!...its your turn now :mrgreen:
@math angel: how can u judge people weather they are egyptian, saudi or paki wthout knowing any of their info :p

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
oh i just thought...never saw u speaking in urdu :p lolz nthng special :)
Well i will see if i can find!

Reaction score
this means that not all chains end in same part but end of chain are just scattered through its structure. like when u put pins on one row and other pins below them there will be a weak part in between that will break easily but the structure of collagen is not like this.
Hope I helped
Am now taking my A2 biology exams :D

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
if u have smthng more to add plz do...cuz i'm still a bit confused!!By the way gud luck for ur A2 exams :)

Reaction score
i think i kno y it is..... okay... basically suppose u take three sticks of equal length and stick them together.. if u stick the ends at the same place and then attach three more to the straight ends its easy to break it from that end. it will be a straight line where it is glued together so easily breakable. on the other hand if it is staggered there is no place on the entire structure where the three sticks dont have a strong backbone... iTs like building with bricks.. u dont keep them right on to of each other, u keep them halfway btw each other so that it give sit more strength. look at d pic...

Attachments

• Collagen.JPG
    Collagen.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 22

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
thats great explanation i suppose...thank u soooooo much...abt the staggered points my teacher told me but i was confused with the weak spots....u made it clear....thanks once again :)

Reaction score
collagen is a really strong protein the writter wants u to understand that at the ends of the collagen molecule its not strong enough bcz there is usually present a spot or is stagger(sway,unsteadily)