• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology P31 <-----

Reaction score
Ashique said:
As a percentage of 50 if you have lost 25 marks and you lost maximum 10 marks in p6, if you do really well in p1, you have the full chances of getting an A :)
how abut if u perform lik 30 out of 40 for p1, same for p6

Reaction score
Ashique said:
As a percentage of 50 if you have lost 25 marks and you lost maximum 10 marks in p6, if you do really well in p1, you have the full chances of getting an A :)
still thnx for helping
was a bit confused abut dat

Reaction score
The paper was very different... I think I lost around 10 marks, and I'm aiming for an A* :D

Reaction score
Alzaabi said:
get A in all papers and you'll get an A*

I think u have to get a high A (specially in paper 3 ) in order to get A* :%) :%) .....or what ??!

Reaction score
Dooouuu said:
Alzaabi said:
get A in all papers and you'll get an A*

I think u have to get a high A (specially in paper 3 ) in order to get A* :%) :%) .....or what ??!

Heh, I doubt that the curves will be high this year.. I doubt that Paper 6 will be above 25/40 or paper 3 be above 40/80 for an A..

R

rockincrew

btw u can know ur variant using ur statement
go and check if u want to know early

Reaction score
Ashique said:
The glucose concentration decreased because the glucose in the bag diffused from the bag to the capillaries in the intestinal wall, thus glucose diffused from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration.Thus the volume decreases. For the next question we had to mention osmosis was the cause of decrease in water content of the intestinal bag. and further explain it which I think most of us did.

The muscle fibers in the villus contract and relax which makes the villi move to and for aiding the movement of food along the alimentary canal. It also allows diffusion to take place more efficiently as both the the sides are exposed to the contents of the ilieum.

And yes the user who mentioned the labels in the above few posts is correct.

What did you all write for the why two different species of insect who look alike? the advantages? (the first question in the last page)

I disagree. If it was diffuision, then the Visking's tube would have allowed for diffusion as well, since it's partially permeable. It also said in the question I believe that glucose concentration in the bags were equal to glucose concentration in the solution. I think the clue to the answer was on the diagram of the experiment, where it said that the small intestine bag contained living cells. These living cells can provide energy from respiration, thus allowing for ACTIVE TRANSPORT that caused the volume of glucose in the small intestine bag to decrease.
Yes, the next question was about osmosis, since the decreased glucose concentration resulted in a more dilute aqueous solution...

The insects are similar because they are classified by the same Genus, and then name the Genus which was Vespa or something like that.

Reaction score
alexxx04 said:
Ashique said:
The glucose concentration decreased because the glucose in the bag diffused from the bag to the capillaries in the intestinal wall, thus glucose diffused from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration.Thus the volume decreases. For the next question we had to mention osmosis was the cause of decrease in water content of the intestinal bag. and further explain it which I think most of us did.

The muscle fibers in the villus contract and relax which makes the villi move to and for aiding the movement of food along the alimentary canal. It also allows diffusion to take place more efficiently as both the the sides are exposed to the contents of the ilieum.

And yes the user who mentioned the labels in the above few posts is correct.

What did you all write for the why two different species of insect who look alike? the advantages? (the first question in the last page)

I disagree. If it was diffuision, then the Visking's tube would have allowed for diffusion as well, since it's partially permeable. It also said in the question I believe that glucose concentration in the bags were equal to glucose concentration in the solution. I think the clue to the answer was on the diagram of the experiment, where it said that the small intestine bag contained living cells. These living cells can provide energy from respiration, thus allowing for ACTIVE TRANSPORT that caused the volume of glucose in the small intestine bag to decrease.
Yes, the next question was about osmosis, since the decreased glucose concentration resulted in a more dilute aqueous solution...

The insects are similar because they are classified by the same Genus, and then name the Genus which was Vespa or something like that.

Exactly what I wrote, except I said that rather than active transport, respiration may have taken place.

Reaction score
The glucose particles were too big to cross the partially permeable membrane. The living cells broke them down to smaller pieces so that they can cross the membrane.

Reaction score
WayneRooney10 said:
The glucose particles were too big to cross the partially permeable membrane. The living cells broke them down to smaller pieces so that they can cross the membrane.

I don't think that's correct, since glucose is a monosaccharide and can thus not be broken down any further. The living cells provided the energy so that the glucose molecules can cross the membrane against the concentration gradient.

Reaction score
The thing here is, that glucose is a monosac, so it got ABSORBED through, and the visking tubing did not because both solutions were at the same conc.

Reaction score
PEOPLE it is not respiration or digestion, think wider, it's ABSORBTION!!!!

Reaction score
adityar said:
PEOPLE it is not respiration or digestion, think wider, it's ABSORBTION!!!!

it break down glucose in to smaller molecule so it can pass through the tube.

Reaction score
haochen, glucose CANNOT break down further, refer to your bio book, its absorbtion, and anyway, how much glucose can the bag "break down" and what will it beak down into?
Maltose? Maltose is added up into glucose before absorbtion, so digestion is not possible...