• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Paper 2 (DISCUSSION)

Reaction score
Prince III said:
Mimmi nice effort of compiling the question :)

but just wanted to point out for the Question 2
the first part which you missed was to write advantage of the insects and a dis-advantage of the insects

and for the second part , the question stated that
" why the percentage of insects starts to increase from the second year , untill the percentage reaches to the original percentage of insects "it was not at all mentioned that after the first year the insecticides were still added to the crops :)

for the Question 4

you missed the last part which stated that" suggest and explain would the offspring be genetically identical to the parent "

Its too many questions to remember alone :p

It did say that the pesticide was sprayed every year on the top though :S

Btw if they were intercoastal muscles it won't be so while! Backbone was more white so it must have been the ribs!

Also, the more dense the tissue, the whiter the MRI showed! So it must have been the ribs :D

Reaction score
Shiki Misaki said:
Plumule? :S Roots are developed from the radicle and not plumule, even though, no roots were formed in the image.
Besides they didn't say 'by referring to the image'. :p ;)

in the paper nor it was written that the part was becoming ROOTS

it was written

FROM WHICH PART HAS THE" E "developed

Reaction score
member said:
Shiki Misaki said:
member said:
G = bronchus
F = bronhciols
H = external intercoaster muscles

am i correct ?

and how were we suppose to draw the posiiton of chest cavity when breath in
please sombody tell

F is bronchioles, G bronchus and H intercoastal muscles. Right. :p
Chest cavity increases since volume of air inside the lungs increases.

in paper

F was bronchioles, G was bronchus

but in the above picture the labels are opposite see it

and i wrote external intercoastal muscles would that be correct ?

The image in the cambridge paper was not clear enough for us to differentiate between the internal intercoastal muscles and external intercoastal muscles but the answer required was Intercoastal muscles, so you will get this one mark. By the way, I'm also referring to your attachment.

Reaction score
mimmi said:
E developed from radicle

first i too wrote radicle but then changed it into plumule because part E was not going into the soil

well just leave this

what were the labels in the same question ?

Reaction score
mimmi those were intercoastal musles :)

and for the second question i dont think it was written that insecticides were still sprayed after 1st year

Reaction score
member said:
for the second question i dont think it was written that insecticides were still sprayed after 1st year

I think the contrary. A graph of this insecticide thing was plotted against year, so it's quite obvious that insecticides were used over this time lapse, no?...

Reaction score
I don't think so. According to me, there must have been gene mutation for the offspring to grow over such a short period of time.

Reaction score
Shiki Misaki said:
I don't think so. According to me, there must have been gene mutation for the offspring to grow over such a short period of time.

sorry didnt get you :shock:

Reaction score
There must have been a change in the DNA segment of the offspring, otherwise the seed would have fallen off to the ground and reproduced like a normal plant. There, in the image, you may have noticed that the parent plant is still holding the fruit whilst the stem has already started to grow from the seed of the fruit itself. Got it? :S

amy

Reaction score
Hey just wanted to know..is there any ecf if we've mistaken Penicillium for a bacterium?

Reaction score
How can it be ribs? They were much more whiter than allthe other muscles

Reaction score
Also, even if they were not ribs, would I get marks for the question below that asked for the function of that part? I wrote about how rib cage was moved when the intercoastal muscles contracted :) and the rib cage moves outwards and upwards

Reaction score
mimmi said:
Also, even if they were not ribs, would I get marks for the question below that asked for the function of that part? I wrote about how rib cage was moved when the intercoastal muscles contracted :) and the rib cage moves outwards and upwards

You should have precised that when a person inhales, his/her external intercoastal muscles contract while the internal intercoastal muscles relax.

P.s: I can't really say much about the marks you'll be getting 'cause not both types of intercoastal muscles contract. :S

amy

Reaction score
Shiki Misaki said:
member said:
for the second question i dont think it was written that insecticides were still sprayed after 1st year

I think the contrary. A graph of this insecticide thing was plotted against year, so it's quite obvious that insecticides were used over this time lapse, no?...
i think it was said that the insecticides were sprayed every five years!

Reaction score
@ amy : I didn't see anything like that in my paper...

Edit>> From the attachment,
'Graph below shows the effect of a insecticide being used over a period of 5 years to the insect population of a farm compared with the original percentage of insect population. The insecticide was sprayed starting from year 1'

amy

Reaction score
member said:
Shiki Misaki said:

sorry didnt get you :shock:

Actually insects have short life cycles..

Reaction score
can somebody tell what were we supposed to write in the questions

Q.2
(a) why the % of insects starts to increase from second year?

Q.4
(b)Explain how the embryo gets the requirements for germination

Q.8
EITHER
(a) Explain The processes that is involved in moving substances in and out of cells