• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 3 CHECKLIST !!!

Reaction score
here are the main topics they may bring in paper 3
-Remember this is not what they are going to bring but i look into there trend of questions in recent years so this may be complete or incomplete and only done for revision purposes and again you are advised to revise EVERYTHING! -

1) Classification (this is not brought every year but its good idea to revise it as you already studied that for paper 6)
2) Tooth and mouth parts (mostly they don't bring it but just in case and also the flouride and tooth brushing)
3) plant/animal/virus/bacteria cells (you need to be able to draw and LABEL them)
4) human reproduction (all of it and with drawings and being able to label)
5) plant reproduction wind or insect pollinated and the difference( self and cross pollination and labeling is important too!!)
6) reflex and responses (this is an important topic most of the years they bring it you need to know the function of the eye and the parts of the eye also the nervous system and how pairs of antagonistic muscles work)
7)transpiration and trans-location of water in the plant ( you need to know the experiments eg. patometer ...etc.)
8) the kidney its structure and the transplant process and the kidney machine (with labels of kidney and discuss advantage and disadvantages of dialysis )
9) you need to know the digestion process with enzymes and organs which are involved
10) remember the equations needed (those are in the syllabus)
11)MEMORIZE definitions of biology (are also provided in the syllabus)
12) the heart structure and function is important
13)homeostasis and osmoregulation is important
14) food, nutrition , and balanced diet (be able to identify symptoms of not eating balanced diet eg. vitamin c diffency)
15) ecology (all meanings and food chains and food web and pyramids)
16) inheritance (be able also to make diagram)
17)the effect of humans on environment (use of excess fertilizers and all of that eg. deforestation)
18) nitrification and nitrogen fixation (very important and also the names of bacteria and all process steps in detail)
19) and also growth curves ( exponential and lag and log phases)
20) this is important in the recent years they like to bring it the bio fermenters ( eg. production of insulin)
21) also food additives

It is important to solve past papers some people like to solve old papers to like in 1990's but for me i prefer to solve years 2003 till 2011 because this year 2012 they are bringing questions from the new ideas there was even a question in bio paper 62 which was repeated from the year 2004 October/November session the question about apple experiment (i took variant 1 not 2 was easy)

-sorry for any typing errors . And if i missed anything please leave a comment-

this took time from me to make and recall the list so all i ask is to say thank you :) and good luck in your exam

Reaction score
Osmix1995 Can you please explain how to use the potometre?

+thankyou for the checklist =D

if you know and understand the potometer in practical , you will find it easy in theory so here is a link from youtube

basically it is a a set of instruments which measures the water uptake by a plant

it is effected by

1) light intensity (as light intensity increase the rate increase)
2)concentration of CO2 (as it increase then rate increase)
3)wind flow (as it increase rate increase)

Reaction score
if you know and understand the potometer in practical , you will find it easy in theory so here is a link

basically it is a a set of instruments which measures the water uptake by a plant
it is effected by

1) light intensity (as light intensity increase the rate increase)
2)concentration of CO2 (as it increase then rate increase)
3)wind flow (as it increase rate increase)

setup for finding limiting factors and etc.

dont sweat too much on this though, you've got plenty more of other experiments on your plate

Reaction score
what do we have to know about negative feedback and hormones in food production ? and what do we have to know about behavior ? only taxis right ? or also the definition of it ?

Reaction score
what do we have to know about negative feedback and hormones in food production ? and what do we have to know about behavior ? only taxis right ? or also the definition of it ?
feedback and hormones both included, tropism and taxism too.
Best of luck people!

Reaction score
What would the threshold be like? To score an A on this paper?
Let's see, on an average everyone seems to have done okay, with some doing very good and some doing bad.

out of 160 an A should be 100 , and A* 130 up.