• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Paper 52 Discussion

Reaction score
It was generally good but there were suggestions that were a little bit difficult such as In water the shorter the wavelength the more it travels deeply related to the pigment u have chosen ( which was Pigments S in strain B)
Also in the second question , he told u how might the student observed the last segment ??

What is the factor that may affect the rate of development of egg from an newly formed to an adult and how is it controlled?
The X2 squared question was easy the null hypothesis was accepted at the end at degrees of freedom 4-1 = 3 ....
So what did u do in the above questions ?

Reaction score
i wrote it as temperature and can be controlled by a temperature controlled room or a thermostatically controlled waterbath ... i didnt find any other factor !
What did u write ???

Reaction score
Same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
What did you right in the next question which said how the student might have observed the last segment?!

Reaction score
Chromatography was to be done by TLC.

And I got pigment T :/ the RF values for pigment T were the highest and thus I think this was the missing pigment. How did you come up with S?

Reaction score
Romeo10 said:
What did you right in the next question which said how the student might have observed the last segment?!
:D :D By examining them under a microscope .. U ??

Reaction score
WhiteAngel said:
Romeo10 said:
:D :D By examining them under a microscope .. U ??
i rote the sameeeee!
:D

Reaction score
Science said:
Chromatography was to be done by TLC.

And I got pigment T :/ the RF values for pigment T were the highest and thus I think this was the missing pigment. How did you come up with S?
it was strain B pigment S.
looking at the position of the missing pigment (pigment 4), it showed that it was close to solvent front of 1 and far from solvent front of 2
Rf value = distace moved by pigment/ distance moved by solvent...so solvent 1 Rf value should be large and for solvent 2 should be small which was only in the case of pigment S!

Reaction score
WhiteAngel said:
i wrote it as temperature and can be controlled by a temperature controlled room or a thermostatically controlled waterbath ... i didnt find any other factor !
What did u write ???
i wrote give same mass of food to all until adults...

Reaction score
Mia4005 said:
btween my strain was B and pigment R
chi^2 was 1.25 rie?
ye chi squared was 1.25 and hence diff was not significant/null hypothesis not rejected...

does anyone know the advantage of using two different solvents for chromatography?

Reaction score
Romeo10 said:
It was generally good but there were suggestions that were a little bit difficult such as In water the shorter the wavelength the more it travels deeply related to the pigment u have chosen ( which was Pigments S in strain B)
Also in the second question , he told u how might the student observed the last segment ??

What is the factor that may affect the rate of development of egg from an newly formed to an adult and how is it controlled?
The X2 squared question was easy the null hypothesis was accepted at the end at degrees of freedom 4-1 = 3 ....
So what did u do in the above questions ?
pigment S absorbed light of short wavelength (i think it was 490nm)..advantage was that more light will penetrate through the epidermal cells and palisade cell walls of the leaf so pigment will recieve more light

Reaction score
extremeranger said:
Mia4005 said:
btween my strain was B and pigment R
chi^2 was 1.25 rie?
ye chi squared was 1.25 and hence diff was not significant/null hypothesis not rejected...

does anyone know the advantage of using two different solvents for chromatography?
reliability.
some pigments are soluable in solvent one and some are not.
yet those get dissolved or have a different RF value with solvent 2
so overlapping pigments on solvent, could be differenciated with solvent 2 :)

Reaction score
WhiteAngel said:
What did u write ???
ME TOO! yayy! i thought it was wrong hahaha but it actually makes sense :)

Reaction score
Romeo10 said:

Microscope! :)

Reaction score
Okay did anyone notice the 8 mark planning question about how chromatography can be used to identify photosynthetic pigments was one of the exact same questions that we got in section B of the bio paper 4? haha! Except i didn't answer it when I did my paper 4 cause i had no time left :(

Reaction score
Hey do you guys know if it's okay to go underneath the lines available to answer the question when you, let's say, changed your answer or crossed something out and so you need more space?