• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Paper1 (AFTER EXAM DISCUSSION)

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
Assalamoalaikum wa rehmatullahi wa barakatuh..
Hope everyone did well!!Seems that everybody is in the holiday mood and isn't willing to discuss the exam! :p .Yesterday there was a server problem and so i couldnt access this website.Today when I vvisited here I was surprised that Exam Discussion is not yet started :shock: :) .
Anyway I would say that the exam was Alhumdulilah easy compared to previous years because we had around 12 repeated questions and abt. 5-6 questions were similar to those in the previous papers!!so it was really worth doing pastpapers!!I finished it in only 20 min and revised so many times!! :cool:

The holiday mood has really taken over me that I need to snap out of it , I still got too much work to do ¬¬"..

About Biology ... what are the "most important points" since I am thinking in taking it in October November Session ? Till now all what I have read seems to be not "biologically deep".

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Actually I think if you haven't yet taken bio it might be difficult for you to do it in this novemer,as the course is really lengthy and moreover for biollogy one thing I feel is memorizing the notes also along with understanding them!!If at all u plan to go to a tutor and if u r sure that u can do it then surely go for it though i personally dont think that 2-3 months time is not sufficient to cover the whole bio syllabus from scratch.
I don't aim to discourage you,again it is up to you!!Well here is a website contaiining notes for biology which might help you- Biology Notes

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
Actually I think if you haven't yet taken bio it might be difficult for you to do it in this novemer,as the course is really lengthy and moreover for biollogy one thing I feel is memorizing the notes also along with understanding them!!If at all u plan to go to a tutor and if u r sure that u can do it then surely go for it though i personally dont think that 2-3 months time is not sufficient to cover the whole bio syllabus from scratch.
I don't aim to discourage you,again it is up to you!!Well here is a website contaiining notes for biology which might help you- Biology Notes

Time is of the Essence , 2-3 months should be enough. It is not a big syllabus as the Chemistry one , right? I got a simple 4-unit book over here ( By Oxford ) , I will be having a look at it.
Jazaak(i) Allahu Khairan for the notes , I believe I've seen it posted by you somewhere on the forums.

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
deforestation was C increased levels of CO2 since it is raw material for photosynthesis which makes food ..
the questions said to encourage the growth of the soyabean plants so it will be decreased rain falls ( not to wash the SOIL and mineral ions ..... )

Reaction score
Sorry Romeo10. Math Angel is right. Decreased rainfall means the plants won't have water so they won't grow that much. Increased levels of CO2 WILL ENCOURAGE the growth of soya beans because more CO2 = More photosynthesis :)

Hope that was clear.

Reaction score
guys do u think how many marks should we lose in the 3 papers 1 2 3 for an A* in CHEMISTRY AND BIoLOGY :?

Ivo

Reaction score
Romeo10 said:
guys do u think how many marks should we lose in the 3 papers 1 2 3 for an A* in CHEMISTRY AND BIoLOGY :?

Some of the countries are being tested for percentage uniform marks, but for the majority, they shall only be implemented from Oct/Nov 2010.

Click here for the document I created using the grade thresholds from previous years to determine the A* grade boundary for IGCSE Biology for the previous few years. (Obviously, my calculations are not completely accurate, and they may be a few % off, as CIE do not disclose the A* grade boundaries).

From recent sessions, it seems that 72/73% is enough to get the A*, but my teacher has always said that 80% is a definite A*.

So what will s10's A* grade boundary be? Who knows... :p

P.S. I had to use an external site to upload the document as the number of attachments has reached the limit here on XP forums for this board.

Reaction score
Ivo said:
Romeo10 said:

Some of the countries are being tested for percentage uniform marks, but for the majority, they shall only be implemented from Oct/Nov 2010.

Click here for the document I created using the grade thresholds from previous years to determine the A* grade boundary for IGCSE Biology for the previous few years. (Obviously, my calculations are not completely accurate, and they may be a few % off, as CIE do not disclose the A* grade boundaries).

From recent sessions, it seems that 72/73% is enough to get the A*, but my teacher has always said that 80% is a definite A*.

P.S. I had to use an external site to upload the document as the number of attachments has reached the limit here on XP forums for this board.
thx ... and r u sure that ur teacher told u that to get an A* in bio j 2010 from 80 % ?????

Ivo

Reaction score
Romeo10 said:
Ivo said:
Romeo10 said:

thx ... and r u sure that ur teacher told u that to get an A* in bio j 2010 from 80 % ?????

Well, obviously no one knows the grade boundary for this year. But my teacher said to be on the safe side, 80% is always an A*. You never know, this year might have been an easier year, in which case the grade boundary could shoot up to like 76-78%. Though I hope it's as low as 75%! :D

However, bear in mind you don't need to get the mininum for each component, as you can compensate from the others, as long as you get the total marks then that's the A*. Note, this system is being changed in w10, so we'll be the last people ever to use the easier system.

Reaction score
Assalam alaikum

There was a question about which two organisms are in the same trophick level

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS
PLZZ
WHat u wrote

THe choises was idont know there wass a sereies
Of numbers
okkay

One was
A)1,3
B)3,5
I DONT REMEMBER REALLY
BUT HELP PLEADSE
AND about growth curve it"s D why because they were telling which point on the graph shows the growth occurung
So it's D because the curve is going up stil but C was comming down
If they were telling the where do the plant started growing Then it's C but it was telling occuringn that means present currect

Reaction score
imkillinit said:
Assalam alaikum

There was a question about which two organisms are in the same trophick level

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS
PLZZ
WHat u wrote

THe choises was idont know there wass a sereies
Of numbers
okkay

One was
A)1,3
B)3,5
I DONT REMEMBER REALLY
BUT HELP PLEADSE
AND about growth curve it"s D why because they were telling which point on the graph shows the growth occurung
So it's D because the curve is going up stil but C was comming down
If they were telling the where do the plant started growing Then it's C but it was telling occuringn that means present currect
3,5 and the GRwoth IS RIGHT ........ D

Reaction score
salam

HELL0 tHNX FOR REPLYING
bUT Are u shur about B because i know for the animals in the trophic level the choice for was D and it was 5,3 it's correct rite!!
IF u remember the choices please write it down for me
I know the answer was 5 and 3 okay,buh i dont remember choices like 5,3 was which 1
I remember first two was A)1,3 B)2,4 C)5,4 D)5,3
PLZ
Thnx
Jazakallah khair

Reaction score
deforestation was C increased levels of CO2 since it is raw material for photosynthesis which makes food ..
plz plz plz can U check for me the answer for bio p11 question 23 about eye...just tell me wat u thnk...I wrote D...
Thx!