• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Practical Worried!

Reaction score
I just did my biology practical yesterday and I just found out that I should have cut some square papers from the back of the question paper, but i didn't do that and I used tissue paper that was placed on the table instead! I'm afraid CIE may think I cheated or something! I'm so worried that they will notice that I didn't use the paper at the back of the question paper, and think that I cheated! Do you think I will lose marks? Please help!

Reaction score
Because the question in each variant is different. I did 34, and at least in that variant, we were not required to cut squares from either the back of the paper or a tissue paper.

We were given a piece of filter paper. That's where we were supposed to cut the squares from.

Reaction score
I did 32, :/ Do you think it matters where I cut the squares from? :/ I got the right result though.. :/ I'm just worried they'll notice that I didn't cut the squares from the question paper and lose marks.. :/

Reaction score
I did 32, :/ Do you think it matters where I cut the squares from? :/ I got the right result though.. :/ I'm just worried they'll notice that I didn't cut the squares from the question paper and lose marks.. :/

I guess performance-wise it doesn't matter if you got the right result.

But they might penalize you for not following instructions properly; I don't know, really. If at some point in the paper you referenced that you used tissue paper instead, i.e. in the 'sources of errors/limitations' or someplace, then the examiner might understand why the QP isn't cut and understand that you didn't cheat. If your Supervisor saw you cutting tissue papers, he might write in his report that some students used tissue papers instead.

But I don't know, really.

Reaction score
don't worry because 5 students from my batch did the same.u will not get full marks for not following instructions properly.u will get some marks if your time increased with decrease in concentration.CIE cannot say that u cheated untill they have proof.proof will be the invigilator.invigilator will report to british council if u cheated or took help from the teacher.don't worry.u will not get full marks eevn if your answer is correct

Reaction score
I guess performance-wise it doesn't matter if you got the right result.

But they might penalize you for not following instructions properly; I don't know, really. If at some point in the paper you referenced that you used tissue paper instead, i.e. in the 'sources of errors/limitations' or someplace, then the examiner might understand why the QP isn't cut and understand that you didn't cheat. If your Supervisor saw you cutting tissue papers, he might write in his report that some students used tissue papers instead.

But I don't know, really.
Thank you anyway :) isA I won't lose that many marks :/ Thanks for answering :)

Reaction score
don't worry because 5 students from my batch did the same.u will not get full marks for not following instructions properly.u will get some marks if your time increased with decrease in concentration.CIE cannot say that u cheated untill they have proof.proof will be the invigilator.invigilator will report to british council if u cheated or took help from the teacher.don't worry.u will not get full marks eevn if your answer is correct
Oh el7amdellah! I was so worried that I would lose ALL the marks! I'm feel so relieved now :D Thank You So much! :D

Reaction score
Because the question in each variant is different. I did 34, and at least in that variant, we were not required to cut squares from either the back of the paper or a tissue paper.

We were given a piece of filter paper. That's where we were supposed to cut the squares from.

in variant 34, for the first experiment did you get any of the times below 160? and how many did you get over 180?

Reaction score
in variant 34, for the first experiment did you get any of the times below 160? and how many did you get over 180?

I didn't get a single time over 30 - except the control.

Its not the answer that matters, I think. It would vary on how old your hydrogen peroxide was. An older hydrogen peroxide at your center would mean you would get greater time, as most of it would have converted to water. Mine on the other hand was relatively fresh - so many bubbles! - and I got readings like 9, 12, 15, 19, 25 seconds.

Were you supposed to use two squares (replicates) for each concentration, or would one suffice? I used one, but other kids at my class used two. Q_Q

Reaction score
I didn't get a single time over 30 - except the control.

Its not the answer that matters, I think. It would vary on how old your hydrogen peroxide was. An older hydrogen peroxide at your center would mean you would get greater time, as most of it would have converted to water. Mine on the other hand was relatively fresh - so many bubbles! - and I got readings like 9, 12, 15, 19, 25 seconds.

Were you supposed to use two squares (replicates) for each concentration, or would one suffice? I used one, but other kids at my class used two. Q_Q

My center was pretty bad. people there hardly got one reading below 180.

I think you had to show replication for at least one result. I remember seeing this in 0/n/11 p34 you had to do an experiment with agar jelly and the mark scheme had one mark allocated for showing the average value.

for the slide, was your artery almost circular in shape? both my artery and vein looked alike except for the difference in wall width. :confused:

Reaction score
My center was pretty bad. people there hardly got one reading below 180.

I think you had to show replication for at least one result. I remember seeing this in 0/n/11 p34 you had to do an experiment with agar jelly and the mark scheme had one mark allocated for showing the average value.

for the slide, was your artery almost circular in shape? both my artery and vein looked alike except for the difference in wall width. :confused:

The tunica intima of my artery was smooth, unlike the arteries I had studied which had curved ones. The vein though was just like I had studied. None of them were circular, but were curved inwards from the center in one side - like a twisted rubberband.

Were you supposed to draw the cells in the 'large drawing' of the two alveoli and their walls? I drew the cells and the nucleus, since they said 'drawing', not 'plan diagram'. o_o And what was the 'gas exchange membrane' that was supposed to be labelled?

Reaction score
I wrote p32 and i did the question with the lumen blockage and what not in pencil...like all of the actual working worth four marks...in PENCIL. Didn't have time to go over it in pen but wrote the final answer in pen. Does anybody know how examiners go about that? Oh and also, is there some kind of range for the % change in lumen?

Reaction score
The tunica intima of my artery was smooth, unlike the arteries I had studied which had curved ones. The vein though was just like I had studied. None of them were circular, but were curved inwards from the center in one side - like a twisted rubberband.

Were you supposed to draw the cells in the 'large drawing' of the two alveoli and their walls? I drew the cells and the nucleus, since they said 'drawing', not 'plan diagram'. o_o And what was the 'gas exchange membrane' that was supposed to be labelled?

Yeah, mine were like that too. i got a little skeptic because i thought arteries were supposed to be nearly circular.

As for the alveoli, you had to show the nucleus and the cells. the membrane was the inner line of the alveoli.

Reaction score
I wrote variant 32 the time taken to reach teh end point in my case DECREASED as the % of enzyme decreased! Did this happen to any of you? I'm desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
There is a mark for replicating readings. I'm sure about that - saw it in past mark schemes.

Reaction score
My artery had an oval shape and my vein had a circular shape; quie the contrary I think. :confused: