• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Books for A'levels

Reaction score
i m going to take math, physics, chemistry nd bio. but i realy dunt no the names of the buks. i heard that in a levels there r 5 buks for bio so how m i gona find their names;does the syllabus endorsed by CIE, tell it?

Reaction score
Chemistry :

1. A Level Chemistry
Author: Ramsden, E N
ISBN: 0748752994
Published in 2000.
Edition: 4
Published by Nelson Thornes Ltd, Delta Place, 27 Bath Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53 7TH, United Kingdom

2. AS Level and A Level Chemistry
Author: Ratcliff, B, Eccles, H, Raffan, J, Nicholson, J, Johnson, D & Newman, J
ISBN: 0521544718
Published in 2004.
Published by Cambridge University Press, The Edinburgh Building, Cambridge, CB2 2RU, United Kingdom

3. Cambridge Advanced Sciences : Chemistry 1
Part of the Cambridge Advanced Sciences series.
Author: Ratcliff, B, Johnson, D, Eccles, H, Nicholson, J & Raffan, J
ISBN: 0521787785
Published in 2000.
Published by Cambridge University Press, The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge, CB2 2RU, United Kingdom

4. Cambridge Advanced Sciences : Chemistry 2
Author: Ratcliff, B & Eccles, H
ISBN: 0521798825
Published in 2001.
Published by Cambridge University Press, The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge, CB2 2RU, United Kingdom

Biology :

1. Advanced Biology
Author: Jones, M and Jones, G
ISBN: 0521484731
Published in 1997.

2. Advanced Biology

Author: Kent, M
ISBN: 0199141959
Published in 2000.
Published by Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford, OX2 6DP, United Kingdom

3 . Advanced Biology
Author: Roberts, M, Monger, G and Reiss, M
ISBN: 0174387326
Published in 2000.
Published by Nelson Thornes Ltd, Delta Place, 27 Bath Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53 7TH, United Kingdom

Maths :

1 . Advanced Level Mathematics : Mechanics
Author: Solomon
ISBN: 0719570824
Published in 1995.
Published by John Murray, Hodder Murray, 338 Euston Road, London, NW1 3BH, United Kingdom

2 . Advanced Level Mathematics : Pure Mathematics
ISBN: 071955344X
Published in 1995.
Published by John Murray, Hodder Murray, 338 Euston Road, London, NW1 3BH, United Kingdom

3 . Advanced Level Mathematics Mechanics 1
Author: Quadling, Douglas
ISBN: 9780521530156
Published in 2002.
Edition: 1

4 .A Concise Course in Advanced Level Statistics
Author: Crawshaw & Chambers
ISBN: 074875475X
Published in 2001.

Physics :

1 . Advanced Physics
Author: Duncan, T
ISBN: 9780719576690
Published in 2000.

2 . Advanced Physics
Author: Adams, S, and Allday, J
ISBN: 9780199146802
Published in 2000.
Published by Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford, OX2 6DP, United Kingdom

3 . International A/AS Level Physics
International A/AS Level Physics
Author: Mee, C, Crundell, M, Arnold, B, and Brown, W
ISBN: 9780340945643
Published in 2008.
Published by Hodder Education

For more visit :
http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages
The subjects will be listed on the left

Reaction score
As this is for books I can't stay without helping you as far as A-level Chemistry is concerned.

"Advanced level chemistry" by Peter Cann is the best books for both AS and A2 levels. This book is also the recommended textbook for A-level by CIE. Although from the books above listed second book is also on the recommended books by CIE but is less effective than Peter Cann.

"Book by Ramsden" is a watse of time.

There is a new book by the CIE for a-level chemistry which is written by six authors. If you want to waste your money, time and energy then purchase this book. It contains confusing information such as in your A2 you will be taught that alkyl chain on the benzene ring are oxidized by hot acidified KMnO4 and also bu hot acidified K2Cr2O7. The last mentioned reagent is not in A-level chemistry for the oxidation of alkyl chain on benzene. [You may consult your chemistry teacher].

the rest is up to you.

Reaction score
As this is for books I can't stay without helping you as far as A-level Chemistry is concerned.

"Advanced level chemistry" by Peter Cann is the best books for both AS and A2 levels. This book is also the recommended textbook for A-level by CIE. Although from the books above listed second book is also on the recommended books by CIE but is less effective than Peter Cann.

"Book by Ramsden" is a watse of time.

There is a new book by the CIE for a-level chemistry which is written by six authors. If you want to waste your money, time and energy then purchase this book. It contains confusing information such as in your A2 you will be taught that alkyl chain on the benzene ring are oxidized by hot acidified KMnO4 and also bu hot acidified K2Cr2O7. The last mentioned reagent is not in A-level chemistry. [You may consult this with your teacher].

the rest is up to you.

You Serious?
Try writing a book . It's not as easy at it seems . Atleast appreciate what those authors did . It's not right to call someone's hard work ''waste of money'' .
And actually A levels is not simply about reading a book . We have the syllabus content for a reason . Use different books to cover all the topics , as very less books have everything. Different students have different minds . What seems confusing to you , might be easy for others . Learn to appreciate others , Others will learn to appreciate you .
The Qur'an says :
"And do not forget to do good to one another." (2:238)

Reaction score
i m going to take math, physics, chemistry nd bio. but i realy dunt no the names of the buks. i heard that in a levels there r 5 buks for bio so how m i gona find their names;does the syllabus endorsed by CIE, tell it?
Salam,

Use the Chris Mee book for Physics

Use the cambridge endorsed ones for maths and chemistry!

P.S. This is frm someone who has completed A levels...

Reaction score
what abt Chemistry in Context written by Graham Hill and John Holman????

Reaction score
The textbook i found useful in AS was by Muhammad Ayub "A Level Chemistry"
It comes in two parts, one for the AS students and second for the A2 studs.
PS. you have to be in Pakistan to get that book.

Reaction score
For chemistry, try OCR or better yet, try the AS'level chemistry book by Muhammad Ayub. I know many people might object to studying from this book since it's not Cambridge endorsed and has 'some' mistakes in it too, but TRUST me, those aren't earth shattering mistakes which are going to take away you'r A-grade from you (contrary to what some people might say :/ ) The mistakes are just slight ones which you'll easily notice your self too once you start studying A'levels. But this book is truly pretty awesome. It's gonna clear up your concepts pretty easily (y)

For bio, study from 2 books, one by Mary Jones and the other by Soper.

For physics, books by Jim Breithaupt and Roger Muncaster are good.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
Chemistry :

1. A Level Chemistry
Author: Ramsden, E N
ISBN: 0748752994
Published in 2000.
Edition: 4

2. AS Level and A Level Chemistry
Author: Ratcliff, B, Eccles, H, Raffan, J, Nicholson, J, Johnson, D & Newman, J
ISBN: 0521544718
Published in 2004.
Published by Cambridge University Press, The Edinburgh Building, Cambridge, CB2 2RU, United Kingdom

3. Cambridge Advanced Sciences : Chemistry 1
Author: Ratcliff, B, Johnson, D, Eccles, H, Nicholson, J & Raffan, J
ISBN: 0521787785
Published in 2000.

4. Cambridge Advanced Sciences : Chemistry 2
Author: Ratcliff, B & Eccles, H
ISBN: 0521798825
Published in 2001.

Biology :

1. Advanced Biology
Author: Jones, M and Jones, G
ISBN: 0521484731
Published in 1997.

2. Advanced Biology

Author: Kent, M
ISBN: 0199141959
Published in 2000.
Published by Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford, OX2 6DP, United Kingdom

3 . Advanced Biology
Author: Roberts, M, Monger, G and Reiss, M
ISBN: 0174387326
Published in 2000.

Maths :

1 . Advanced Level Mathematics : Mechanics
ISBN: 0719570824
Published in 1995.

2 . Advanced Level Mathematics : Pure Mathematics
ISBN: 071955344X
Published in 1995.

3 . Advanced Level Mathematics Mechanics 1
Author: Quadling, Douglas
ISBN: 9780521530156
Published in 2002.
Edition: 1

4 .A Concise Course in Advanced Level Statistics
Author: Crawshaw & Chambers
ISBN: 074875475X
Published in 2001.

Physics :

1 . Advanced Physics
Author: Duncan, T
ISBN: 9780719576690
Published in 2000.

2 . Advanced Physics
Author: Adams, S, and Allday, J
ISBN: 9780199146802
Published in 2000.
Published by Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford, OX2 6DP, United Kingdom

3 . International A/AS Level Physics
International A/AS Level Physics
Author: Mee, C, Crundell, M, Arnold, B, and Brown, W
ISBN: 9780340945643
Published in 2008.
Published by Hodder Education

For more visit :
http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages
The subjects will be listed on the left

Do you have soft copies of these physics books

Reaction score
anyone plzz help me?! I lost all my hodder education student CD's for chemistry and physics and as levels are approaching the november series plzz i really need those CDs do anyone of u have them? Or any link to download them?? Plz help me i need them