• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

books for further maths mechanics

Reaction score
can nyone tell me the relevant nd very resourceful cie approved books for f.maths mechanics as in their syllabus they hve provided a no. of books which i cant afford to buy.moreover is it possible to study mechanics of f.maths all by urself(as my teacher's not good) after studyin maths comp. M2?
need fast reply

Reaction score
BOOK NAME --- FURTHER MATHEMATICS BY L.BOSTOCK AND CHANDLER
FURTHER MECHANICS and PROBABILITY BY SAME AUTHOR

Reaction score
so if u study only frm tht,will u able to get the mechanics part concept.nd btw wht was ur grade in fm?

Reaction score
The best books available for the prep of mechanics part of further maths are (considering you have done M1 in maths)

1) Mechanics 2
Endorsed by CIE for use with the 9709 syllabus.
Author: Quadling, Douglas
ISBN: 0521530164
Published in 2003.
http://www.amazon.com/Mechanics-Interna ... 0521530164

THIS BOOK IS NECESSARY TO REACH THE LEVEL OF FURTHER MECHANICS BUT NOT MUCH OF THE CONTENT IS DIRECTLY TESTED. THE CONCEPTS ARE ESSENTIAL THOUGH FOR FURTHER STUDY.

2) Introducing Mechanics
Author: Jefferson & Beadsworth
ISBN: 0199147108
Published in 2000.
Published by Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford, OX2 6DP, United Kingdom
http://books.google.com.pk/books?id=iwE ... ider_thumb
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-Mec ... 0199147108

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK WHICH COVERS MUCH OF THE FURTHER MECHANICS SYLLABUS. ALTHOUGH FOR FURTHER YOU'LL ONLY HAVE TO STUDY A SMALL PART OF THIS BOOK BUT THE CONTENT IS COMPLETE AND WELL EXPLAINED.

THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE WITH GOOGLE BOOKS FOR PREVIEW, GO AND HAVE A LOOK THERE TO ASCERTAIN THE SUTABILITY OF THIS BOOK BUT U'LL NOT BE ABLE TO STUDY FROM THERE AS MANY RANDOM PAGES HAVE INTENTIONALLY BEEN OMITTED.

3)Further mechanics
Brian Jefferson, Tony Beadsworth2001 - 278 pages
http://books.google.com.pk/books?id=srz ... ider_thumb

TOPICS NOT PRESENT IN NO.2 ARE COVERED IN THIS SECOND PART OF THE SERIES.

EVEN THOUGH IN MY OPINION THESE BOOKS SHOULD SUFFICE, ANY OTHER BOOKS FOR ADDITIONAL PRACTICE QUESTIONS OR EXAMPLES CAN BE USED AS WELL.

IF YOU REQUIRE ANY OTHER INFO ABOUT FURTHER MATHS BOOKS OR THESE BOOKS MENTIONED ABOVE, INFORM ME AND I'LL BE HAPPY TO HELP.

Reaction score
you may also see the following books for further practice.

Mechanics 3 & 4 for OCR (Cambridge Advanced Level Mathematics) (2005)
Advancing Maths for AQA Mechanics 3 (2001)
Advancing Maths for AQA Mechanics 4: 4 (2001)

M3:
dimensions,
momentum changes (including collisions in 1D and 2D),
projectiles (including on inclined planes),
relative motion

M4:
center of mass,
frameworks,
moments and couples (including in coordinate space),
moments of inertia,
rotation

Reaction score
thnks for tht information.i gave p1,p3,m1,m2(in m1 nd m2) i got a B grade and also an overall B grade so am i capable 4 givin fur. mths?besides since i hve given these comp.,which mechanics books shud i then refer to?moreover wht r the difficult topics of P1 f.maths nd of P2?

Reaction score
no book is specific for further mechanics. you have to
choose a topic and study from each so as to get good concept and practice from examples.
then try to solve the problems from
(keep the books with you and easy to locate the topic)
1) introducing mechanics, Further mechanics, by beadsworth, jeffersons
2) Mechanics and Probability as well as Further Mechanics by Bostock
3) Mechanics 1&2 , Mechanics 3&4(see the required topic) CIE endorsed.

topics are not difficult it depends upon the concept you have grasped.

Reaction score
and if you have appeared in M1 and M2 then you'll have to work really hard with stats.

Reaction score
thnx 4 te wonderful information tht u have provided me wid.i hav the knowledge of S1 as our teacher has covered that even!!!!!

Reaction score
hi guys, i need help for equilibrium of rigid body for mechanics paper 5..... please give me a hand on that.. thanks in advance