• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Business Studies(9707) Post your doubts here

Reaction score
Stratified sample:
Involves dividing the target population into groups/strata and using random sampling to select an apt no from each strata.
it can also be used when needed to target only one segment.

Quota sampling:
the proportion that a certain customer group makes up of the whole target market is known.
so acc to this proportion the respondents are selected.

E.g.:
Stratified sample:
Your target market is school students, and for your research youve got to interview 200 of them.
So instead of interviewing any 200 students, you stratify them (on basis of their age or standard)
i)class I & II students
ii) class III, IV, V students.....and so on.

in the school where youll interview there are 5000 students in total
and in class I &II no of students is 1000
So you would ask (100/5000)*200=40 students
& so on until you get 200 students in total.

And these 40 students would be selected at random from the entire group.

Quota sampling:
herein you know that in your target market 75% are male and 25% are females.
and 40% are in age group 14-20,
25% in 21-30,
20% in 31-40,
15% in 41+.

for your research you need to ask 200 people,
so from them 150 will be males(75% of 200) and 50 will be females.
in males- 60 will be in age group 14-20(40% of 150).....and so on.
and in females-20 in 14-20(40% of 50)....and so on.

Variable costs:
Opposite of fixed costs. Costs which vary with the no of output.
Marginal costs:
Cost of producing one more unit of output. It generally includes the variable cost of one output bcz fixed cost remain same

Hope you understood....:)

AAnsarii sorry for late reply.....:oops:

Reaction score
E.g.:
Stratified sample:
Your target market is school students, and for your research youve got to interview 200 of them.
So instead of interviewing any 200 students, you stratify them (on basis of their age or standard)
i)class I & II students
ii) class III, IV, V students.....and so on.

in the school where youll interview there are 5000 students in total
and in class I &II no of students is 1000
So you would ask (100/5000)*200=40 students
& so on until you get 200 students in total.
Quota sampling:
herein you know that in your target market 75% are male and 25% are females.
and 40% are in age group 14-20,
25% in 21-30,
20% in 31-40,
15% in 41+.

for your research you need to ask 200 people,
so from them 150 will be males(75% of 200) and 50 will be females.
in males- 60 will be in age group 14-20(40% of 150).....and so on.
and in females-20 in 14-20(40% of 50)....and so on.

AAnsarii sorry for late reply.....:oops:
so meaning dat quota is more specific than stratified (has %, many factors included)?
n ofc its ok :)

Reaction score
i got one question which i need a little help with... its 20 marks,so i don't know if what i wrote is good enough or not.

6)Discuss the factors the senior managers of a business should consider when deciding between a capital intensive or labour intensive production process.

Thank you!

Reaction score
i got one question which i need a little help with... its 20 marks,so i don't know if what i wrote is good enough or not.

6)Discuss the factors the senior managers of a business should consider when deciding between a capital intensive or labour intensive production process.

Thank you!
just attempting, dk if enough
  • cost of labour
  • d break-even lvl of output in d 2--in which is d lvl lower?
  • nature of competitors (which 1 r dey?) --if yet all labour, u myt b capital n gain a competitive advantage
  • demand--if u produce v much thru capital 2 reduce av. cost, is dere enuf demand 2 actually pay 4 d cost?
  • is dere a niche in d market, n all competitors r cap. intensive? if produce thru labour, will d niche mkt buy ur prods, as dey r "original" n "sp-hand-made"?
1 more thing: its better 2 opt 4 d split qn (nt a full 20 mk qn), it usually getsu u more mks (y)
SilentSpectator , Student of the year

Reaction score
just attempting, dk if enough
  • cost of labour
  • d break-even lvl of output in d 2--in which is d lvl lower?
  • nature of competitors (which 1 r dey?) --if yet all labour, u myt b capital n gain a competitive advantage
  • demand--if u produce v much thru capital 2 reduce av. cost, is dere enuf demand 2 actually pay 4 d cost?
  • is dere a niche in d market, n all competitors r cap. intensive? if produce thru labour, will d niche mkt buy ur prods, as dey r "original" n "sp-hand-made"?
1 more thing: its better 2 opt 4 d split qn (nt a full 20 mk qn), it usually getsu u more mks (y)

SilentSpectator , Student of the year

Thank you once again..i fixed my answer now.

Reaction score
w11_ p11_9707
q 5b : discuss the factors a multinational car manufacturer might find important when choosing to locate a new factory in ur country????
Multinational business are those business organisations that has its headquarters in one country , but with operating branches, factories and assembly parts in other countries.
like 4 eg : Mercedes Benz is a multinational division of the German manufacturer and its head office is in south Africa!!
this multinational car manufacturer would analyse how profitable and how easy would it be to manufacture his car in my country that is India .
the various factors that is of true importance wold be as follows:
firstly he would have to see if there are potential buyers in India who are interested in purchasing his car and have the capability to buy it.then he will see to it that he is able to rent a place for production which is cheap as well as close to the main market so that he incurs lower transport cost for transporting the finished goods , this will also help the business gain better market information regarding consumer tastes as a result of closeness to them.
he will try to identify if the cost of production in this country is low and whether he gets readily available cheap labour.
all of these cost savings make the local production in India very efficient in terms of the market in the rest of the world and can lead to substantial reports.
the car manufacturer will see to it that they don't face any import restrictions and they get the facilities for transport network adequacy for import of parts and distribution network for export of
vehicles.
as India is a developing country it will provide government grants and tax incentives to such business in order to increase the overall GDP of the country!!!

hey assalamu alaikum , i just posted this question and answer cus i thot it sort of difficult , i tried writing the ans n i am not quite sure about it.........if sm1 cud just pls read and and give me further suggestions and advice on improvement!!!
jazakillah................may Allah give u loads of sawaab!! :) ...ameen

AAnsarii SilentSpectator Tkp SalmanPakRocks
Student of the year syed1995

Reaction score
Devilishangel:) Yaserkamgar Student of the year AAnsarii SilentSpectator acas shaikh 1995@10Sept fille spéciale SalmanPakRocks

whenever its a 20 mrk or an 18 mrk question , remember d following!! :

1.knowledge_2-3 mrks
introduce the topic and give the definition of the terms used in d question.

2.application_2-3 mrks
give exampes with detailed explainaition of that eg linking it wid d question

3.analysis_6-8 mrks
depending oon what d question asks answer the question and cover all d points that have been asked for!!!
give the advtgs n disadvtgs if needed.

4.evaluation_6-8 marks
give the effects and conclusion , based on ur understanding and opinion.
compare , if its good or bad.