• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

C1 Help!

Reaction score
I'm going through the C1 January 2013 paper and I have a problem.
I've been taught that f(x+a) is a translation of -a in the x direction
Now, question 6a from January 2013 asks me to sketch "y = 2/x - 5"
According to my theory, this should mean that the original curve should be translated +5 in the x direction, but the mark scheme says that it should be translated up down, so I don't understand, please help!

Attachments

• 6663_01_rms_20130307.pdf
    159.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 6663_01_que_20130114.pdf
    127.6 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
2/x-5 this means 5 units downwards, f(a+x) " this translation on the X-axis, but in the Y axis f(x}-5 5 units downwards simply : the translation sing on the X-axis opposite to the translation on the Y axis " - on y axis = downwards + = upwards " on the X-axis = - to the right = + to the left "

Reaction score
i don't understand, could you please explain again? i'm sorry, i've never really been good with graphs :(
f(a+x), according to my text book, is a translation of -a in the x direction, so why should it move up or down if it doesn't affect the y direction?

Reaction score
So, if it were to be a translation in the x direction, what would it look like? y= 2/(x-a) - 5 ?