• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

calculation of the grade A*

Reaction score
lets just suppose somebody got an A at 80% in his AS
if he go something like 90% in his A2 exams, will he get an overall A* grade?
i want to know ho this is calculated i.e how both the exam marks are added up
and how will you know if you got an A at 80% or 90% in AS
any thing above 80% is an A
thanks

Reaction score
I was always under the understanding that your final grade (A level result) was the mean of your AS and A2. So if you got 80 in AS and 90 in A2, your final result would be 85; not A* but A.

And you're right. In AS anything 80 and above is an A. Pretty big threshold if you ask me. :p

Reaction score
so in short i have no way of finding out if i have to improve in my AS result
ie i wont know that i got an A at 80% until its too late

Reaction score
People usually sit AS in one year and then A2 on the next year. I don't get what you're asking... Are you doing AS and A2 on the same year? In which case you won't know until its too late.

What usually happens is people sit AS on one year and then right before the next year they find out their result. If its a C or higher (for my school anyway) they carry on to A level. If they are not happy with the result, they will re-sit the exam in the middle of the year. i.e. you got 80 in AS, so you resit it in the mid year so you'll probably bump it up to 90..

Reaction score
Ok. So here's the thing:
If you get a 90%in your A2 units and have a A-(80% uniform mark) at AS, you'll get an A* at A-Level.
If you don't have a grade A at AS, then you may need a percentage uniform mark higher than 90% in your A2 units (enough to bring up your AS % uniform mark up to atleast 80%) to get an A*
Hope this helps!:)

Reaction score
Ok. So here's the thing:
If you get a 90%in your A2 units and have a A-(80% uniform mark) at AS, you'll get an A* at A-Level.
If you don't have a grade A at AS, then you may need a percentage uniform mark higher than 90% in your A2 units (enough to bring up your AS % uniform mark up to atleast 80%) to get an A*
Hope this helps!:)

So as long as I've gotten As at AS, I just have to make sure that I get at least 90% in the A2 exams to get an A*?

Reaction score
but what happens if i get an A at 95% in AS but get 89% in A2?
will i still get an A*?