• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Calculator not allowed ??

Reaction score
so i just got to know that CIE has regulations related to calculators(lyk their procedures weren't stri gent enuf b4 =_=)
and i was thinking whther the fx991ESCasiowas banned or not ?
oh and i dont take maths so shouldnt i be able to use it ??=p

thanks for any help ^_^

Reaction score
Its not allowed but some centres show strictness in this matter, others are lenient
I would advise to be on the safe side and do not take them,
OR
Take more than one calculator and at least one should be a simple one!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Its not allowed but some centres show strictness in this matter, others are lenient
I would advise to be on the safe side and do not take them,
OR
Take more than one calculator and at least one should be a simple one!
Aoa!

oh..really? it isnt allowed? :eek:

ok how about i take fx-85 MS and fx-991 ES?

although i'm used to fx 85 MS but in some cases for maths p3, i think the latter is helpful too..!

Reaction score
Aoa!

oh..really? it isnt allowed? :eek:

ok how about i take fx-85 MS and fx-991 ES?

although i'm used to fx 85 MS but in some cases for maths p3, i think the latter is helpful too..!
Dunno exactly abt the models but the calculators that solve integration, differentiation etc are nt allowed

Reaction score
991 es is allowed, it follows regulations
Graphical calculators, which can plot graphs, have a programming function and algebraic manipulation ability are not allowed
Trust me guys, I have both casio fx 9860 g2(http://www.casio.com/products/Calculators_&_Dictionaries/Graphing/FX-9860GII/) and casio 991 es, and , compared to the graphical one, the 991 es is almost insignificant;)
Graphical calculators can do all sorts of stuff, they have everything from geometry applets to a graphing function and also have a programmable memory
Hence: not allowed
The centres which do not allow the 991 es must have never heard of graphical calculators:X3:
Otherwise they would allow the 991 es
I used the 991es for my exams, it's great as a simple scientific calculator and is allowed
Here you can check CIE's handbook for centres:http://www.cie.org.uk/docs/profiles/exams_officers/RoW Handbook for Centres 2011.pdf(scroll down to section 3.3.3 page 37)
If, lets suppose, and invigilator does not let you use the 991es, create a fuss, get aggressive and argue with him to let you use the calculator
If that doesn't work, then reason with him:X3: telling him appropriate stuff
By the way don't try to email CIE about this calculator issue: they take about 3 weeks to reply and in the end will tell you to consult you local exam officer or the guy in charge of the regulation of the exams( you can do that through your school/college)
Hope that helps