• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CAREER COUNSELLING

Reaction score
Si,r it wud be highly appreciable if u clear my following queries all the way !
* IT vs Engineering....... In terms of demand , Pay scale and scope here in PAKISTAN and abroad ?
* BS vs BE ... wats the prime difference as we are able to see things like BS ( software engineering ) etc...

Very interesting questions and I hope I will clear both of the m.

1. IT and engineering are both good fields and an exciting career awaits. Engineering is a vast field andf it depends on the type of field you choose. For example, petroleum and chemical engineering is very popular in Gulf and southern parts of Pakistan. So if you want to choose this field then either you will have to spend your life in the deserts of Pakistan or in the Gulf or in countries like Canada and Us because US is also now the largest oil producer.. if you tend to do chemical engineering we have very less scope in PK as there are only a few major chemical plants like Engro, Pakistan Polymer, Fauji etc. So if you want a headstart in chemical you better aim for abroad where you have prospects. Electrical and electronics engineering are linked to power and manufacturing. The next ten years are crucial for Pak as we need large pool of engineers to help improve the electricity generation. Moreover, the manufacturing sector is boomiong and we do require these engineers. But I believe that such engineers are high in demand because even the Arabs are producing large number of engineers that are replacing Soutj Asians. So better don't gor for electrical/electronics. Software is also booming with high demand everywhere. Civil engineers are highly sought in Canada and the gulf and any nation where construction industry is growing. Mineral industry is also growing in Australia and our country needs to tap more in future to survive.

2. As far the prefixes are concerned it doesn't matter much. NED offers Be whereas new unis like NUST, PIEAS offer BSc. Pakistan's BCom is same like Australia's BComm and UK's BA Accounting or BSc Accounting. So it doesn't matter much. Only a slight difference in courde structure.

Reaction score
Very interesting questions and I hope I will clear both of the m.

1. IT and engineering are both good fields and an exciting career awaits. Engineering is a vast field andf it depends on the type of field you choose. For example, petroleum and chemical engineering is very popular in Gulf and southern parts of Pakistan. So if you want to choose this field then either you will have to spend your life in the deserts of Pakistan or in the Gulf or in countries like Canada and Us because US is also now the largest oil producer.. if you tend to do chemical engineering we have very less scope in PK as there are only a few major chemical plants like Engro, Pakistan Polymer, Fauji etc. So if you want a headstart in chemical you better aim for abroad where you have prospects. Electrical and electronics engineering are linked to power and manufacturing. The next ten years are crucial for Pak as we need large pool of engineers to help improve the electricity generation. Moreover, the manufacturing sector is boomiong and we do require these engineers. But I believe that such engineers are high in demand because even the Arabs are producing large number of engineers that are replacing Soutj Asians. So better don't gor for electrical/electronics. Software is also booming with high demand everywhere. Civil engineers are highly sought in Canada and the gulf and any nation where construction industry is growing. Mineral industry is also growing in Australia and our country needs to tap more in future to survive.

2. As far the prefixes are concerned it doesn't matter much. NED offers Be whereas new unis like NUST, PIEAS offer BSc. Pakistan's BCom is same like Australia's BComm and UK's BA Accounting or BSc Accounting. So it doesn't matter much. Only a slight difference in courde structure.

Thank u so much for ur precise reply...
Actually, some elders are encouraging me to opt IT on engineering as jobs are available in maintenance , assembling and other sectors OTHER than manufacturing In Pakistan
How far wud u agree?

Reaction score
i have done with maths lavels and scored C (69)
and expecting 2 B's in Phy and chem
and i want to get admission in Bsc computer science in canada or UK or Singapore
suggest me universities where i can get admission
and what are the deadlines for it

Reaction score
Asssalam O alaikum.... I am going to do A levels in the three science subjects along with psychology and sociology . Can you tell me career line i can follow after doing them. I want a hve respectable acareer and learn alot in life . i persoanlly want to study businees studies but that would be too much i think all in A levels .
My dream is to work in the educational sector of Paksistan ,not as a teacher but I wan tto chnge the system , travel around the world see the education system of other countries , what makes them so successful and then help create a system for Pakistan. For that what career path do u think i should follow?
MY parensts support me but recently they haves tarted to tell me to go for Medical , become a Doctor , earn some respect and secure my own future first . BUt they are wiling to accept if i choose an alternative career but as long its safe and respectable.
Can you tell me what I should do ?

I feel privileged to help Lady of Heaven. I really appreciate your far-farsightedness and I hope you succeed in this goal. I understand what your parents have in mind. They want you to have a secure future and "better prospects" because their mindset is old. And that is the reason behind Pakistan's hampered progress.

The prospects look bleak when you choose to go towards the educational sector because of uncertainty of the government and the country. However, we need someone to stand up and take a chance to transform our society. AND IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DO SOMETHING THEN YOU CAN DO EVEN AFTER COMPLETING MEDICAL OR ANY OTHER QUALIFICATION.

There is an opportunity cost between your decision and your parents' belief. all I can say is that it is up to you what you decide as I cannot juggle up between two very critical decisions.

Reaction score
I did my igcse this mayjune2014 I took physics,chem,computer studies,maths, English
I have no idea which career to choose and which degree.. I wanna do a criminologist or wanna do forensic sciences or psychology.. I can do well in engineering as well
but the main prob here is that forensic sciences and criminologist degrees are not available in pak and neither in UAE ( I live in UAE) and I might have chances to move to USA but chances not pretty sure !!
I wanna choose my as levels subjects now keeping my options open and which subjects to choose I've no idea.. but I'm Good in science related things soo a career in science I want not business related !!
the only way to keep my options open for career is to take bio Chem phy and maths four majors !! and I'm worried and scared that it wud be really tough :/ that's y I was also thinking to switch to highschool (american system) as I can have more options easily instead of British system

I agree with you that Pakistan or the Gulf does not have any forensic-related courses. All you can do is to go to Europe or USA for forensic studies where the industry is huge.

As far as A levels are concerned, your subject choice is excellent as you can choose any career anytime.

Whereas, choosing between American and British systems, all i can say as both are highly prestigious but the former is given more consideration in USA. GCEs are also considered in USA along with SATs. However, you will have to look into whether you can afford American system as it is highly expensive in UAE.

Reaction score
Thank u so much for ur precise reply...
Actually, some elders are encouraging me to opt IT on engineering as jobs are available in maintenance , assembling and other sectors OTHER than manufacturing In Pakistan
How far wud u agree?

Agreed. IT is doing better than Manufacturing and maintenance sector in Pakistan. But you will have to keep yourself up to date with developments as time passes.

Reaction score
i have done with maths lavels and scored C (69)
and expecting 2 B's in Phy and chem
and i want to get admission in Bsc computer science in canada or UK or Singapore
suggest me universities where i can get admission
and what are the deadlines for it

Which education system are you following and what are you currently doing?

Reaction score
Yes sure you can do MBA after engineering. MBA will further strengthen your career and you will be able to take on managerial roles.

Yes, but what will be the advantage of the engineering i did before MBA? Will it be helpful or not?
Or will it be better to do BBA instead of engineering?

Reaction score
Yes, but what will be the advantage of the engineering i did before MBA? Will it be helpful or not?
Or will it be better to do BBA instead of engineering?

You will gain insights of the ins and outs of the engineering sector. Engineers with MBAs are highly sought as Project Managers, Factory Managers, Operations and Manufacturing Managers. So an engineer having an MBA is the order of the day. And if you really like engineering this is an excellent pathway for an amazing career.

Reaction score
hi there, just completed my IGCSEs, did Geo, French, Art, Coordinated Science, Literature, English, Economics, Maths and ICT..... Was looking at picking 4 subjects from the three sciences, economic, Geo, maths or French...... I naturally enjoy economics and I got a B, but my maths was merely a C(planning on resits +my predicted grade was an A)....I also like Geo(got an A) and French(got an A)... I wouldn't mind taking the sciences considering I got two As although I'm not sure if Chem and Physics would really interestme....would it be smart to drop all sciences and take a combination of Geo, French, Economics and Maths? Does that combination give me flexibility?

Reaction score
You will gain insights of the ins and outs of the engineering sector. Engineers with MBAs are highly sought as Project Managers, Factory Managers, Operations and Manufacturing Managers. So an engineer having an MBA is the order of the day. And if you really like engineering this is an excellent pathway for an amazing career.

Can a person start businesses without an MBA?
I mean, would it be better if i continue sciences even in masters?
I want to be an entrepreneur, but at the same time harness my potential in sciences and maths.

Reaction score
hi there, just completed my IGCSEs, did Geo, French, Art, Coordinated Science, Literature, English, Economics, Maths and ICT..... Was looking at picking 4 subjects from the three sciences, economic, Geo, maths or French...... I naturally enjoy economics and I got a B, but my maths was merely a C(planning on resits +my predicted grade was an A)....I also like Geo(got an A) and French(got an A)... I wouldn't mind taking the sciences considering I got two As although I'm not sure if Chem and Physics would really interestme....would it be smart to drop all sciences and take a combination of Geo, French, Economics and Maths? Does that combination give me flexibility?

No not really, with these subjects you won't get flexibility. I would like to know what are your plans for future. Economist or Natural Geographer?

Reaction score
Can a person start businesses without an MBA?
I mean, would it be better if i continue sciences even in masters?
I want to be an entrepreneur, but at the same time harness my potential in sciences and maths.

First of all. Let me clear you. Entrepreneurship does not require any education. We have loads of examples in the world. However, a qualification grooms a person, and I would recommend to continue in sciences and then get a Bachelors in entrepreneurship and MBA in a related field like International Business.

Reaction score
No not really, with these subjects you won't get flexibility. I would like to know what are your plans for future. Economist or Natural Geographer?
Was thinking along the lines of Economist, Investment Banking, that sorta field.....preferably something that plays to my analytic side that I consider one of my strengths.....forgot to mention, regarding the sciences, since I did Coordinated Science, rather than the sciences individually, I kinda feel like I'd be playing catch up as soon as A levels start.....oh and my preferred destination after A levels would be Canada.....in a perfect world I'd end up at the University of Toronto or McGill.....although I'll say that a fair number of students at my school have been admitted at Carleton University which isn't as highly ranked......should I lower my hopes?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Was thinking along the lines of Economist, Investment Banking, that sorta field.....preferably something that plays to my analytic side that I consider one of my strengths.....forgot to mention, regarding the sciences, since I did Coordinated Science, rather than the sciences individually, I kinda feel like I'd be playing catch up as soon as A levels start.....oh and my preferred destination after A levels would be Canada.....in a perfect world I'd end up at the University of Toronto or McGill.....although I'll say that a fair number of students at my school have been admitted at Carleton University which isn't as highly ranked......should I lower my hopes?

I am afraid that with these grades you wont end up in McGill or Toronto. Yes Carleton could be an option. Many students from African countries like Uganda choose Canada for higher education.

If you want to go towards Economics side, I would prefer you keep Maths and Economics and one other subject because all analysis depend on your mathematical abilities.

Reaction score
I
I am afraid that with these grades you wont end up in McGill or Toronto. Yes Carleton could be an option. Many students from African countries like Uganda choose Canada for higher education.

If you want to go towards Economics side, I would prefer you keep Maths and Economics and one other subject because all analysis depend on your mathematical abilities.
have to do four subjects as it's school policy......which other subjects would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hi Again! I don't know if you remember me but i posted a question here months back. I recently got my A Levels and it was a pretty good for me. But now i am attending a university here and i don't know which course to pick up but i finally decided on Mechatronics which is a combination of both Mechanical and Electronic Engineering instead of Computer Science. I know one thing that Computer Science have a masters and PH degrees (which i really want to have both PHD and Masters!) but i am very uncertain of the course i picked which is Mechatronics. I wanted to take my Masters abroad, most likely in Canada, but like i said i am very uncertain of my course having Masters degree too. Is there any way you can help me with this? Thank you! :)