• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CASPARIAN STRIP BIO ???????????

Reaction score
casparian strip ? plz someone expaln it to me what's it's role ? advandateges

Reaction score
- casparian strips are found in the endodermis of the plant's root
- it is impermeable to water
- blocks the apoplast pathway
- water therefore can only pass through the endodermis through the passage cells by the symplast pathway
- it allows the cells to select what organic ions pass into the xylem vessels
- it helps in the generation of root pressure

Reaction score
beso2011 said:
casparian strip ? plz someone expaln it to me what's it's role ? advandateges
In plant anatomy, the Casparian strip is a band of cell wall material deposited on the radial and transverse walls of the endodermis, which is chemically different from the rest of the cell wall. It is used to block the passive flow of materials, such as water and solutes into the stele of a plant

Reaction score
Under Normal Circumstances the Cell wall of plants are completely permeable to water and solutes. This in effect is a great advantage but it also prevents plants for having some kind of control of how much water moves into the xylem via the apoplast ( cell wall route ) pathway. To give some degree of control, an insoluble polysaccharide, Suberin, is laid down to effectively cut of the Apoplast pathway. Suberin is laid down in an orderly fashion forming a ring around the endodermis (where it is mainly located ) in the roots. This ring is called the Casparian Strip
Hope I helped