• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chem Paper 6 Question

Reaction score
in part c CO2 is produced because solid C contained insoluble lead carbonate ,solid D.
so when HNO3 is added a fizz and bubbles of gas can be seen because a the reaction of an acid with a carbonate.
the test for CO2 is limewater, +ve result if turns milky/cloudy.

i dont get part d :S

part f is CO2 as ive already mentioned

part g is ammonia because aq.NaOH, Aluminium foil and gentle heat is test for ammonia gas, and +ve result is when litmus paper turns from red to blue and a gas is given off.

part h is iron 2+ because it has been tested with NaOH and a green ppt. has been formed, and ammonium ions were present becuase ammonia was given off with the given test, and sulphate ions are present becuase dil. HCL and Ba(NO3)2 has been added and a white ppt. was formed.

Reaction score
will i got a trouble in Nov 2003 ( specimen paper ) Q4(g)
if any one could help
thanks in advance

Reaction score
as for part D, the residue is lead carbonate, so when potassium iodide is added in an acidic medium ( made by nitric acid ) , a yellow ppt of lead iodide will be formed. It's as if you're testing for iodide ions, just backwards. ;)

Reaction score
Thank you! I got it!! When they add nitric acid to the reisdue( lead carbonate), lead nitrate is formed. then when potassium iodide is added to the residue, a yellow ppt. of barium iodide is formed!
This is what takes place right?!!

Thank you!

Oh btw, what is the purpose of "acidifying" before testing for an anion? :roll:

Reaction score
honestly, I have no idea! :D but the yellow ppt isn't barium iodide! From where did you get the Barium anyway?