• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chemistrey paper 11 stainless steel alloy question

Reaction score
qhat was the answer to the stainless steel alloy question? i choose that both statements are correct but 2 doesn't explain 1

Reaction score
amaghraby said:
qhat was the answer to the stainless steel alloy question? i choose that both statements are correct but 2 doesn't explain 1

What I chose too. As the stainless steel one was right, as it doesn't allow the oxygen to get to the iron, and the second one was also correct, but no method described explained the first one :D

Reaction score
i chose option 2 is correct, and option 1 is wrong. i think what i chose is right, cuz option one was more of a tricky thing. it said "the iron is kept from rusting because the other metals present prevent oxygen from reaching the iron" this was wrong because it means that the iron was coated in another metal to make the alloy, while alloys are just mixtures.

and what about that hydration question? did the substance's colour change from blue to white or not?

Reaction score
JiViFiDi said:
i chose option 2 is correct, and option 1 is wrong. i think what i chose is right, cuz option one was more of a tricky thing. it said "the iron is kept from rusting because the other metals present prevent oxygen from reaching the iron" this was wrong because it means that the iron was coated in another metal to make the alloy, while alloys are just mixtures.

and what about that hydration question? did the substance's colour change from blue to white or not?

If u mean the brass alloy

I chose that zinc dissolves in hydrochloric acid "C"
as copper doesn`t react and brass is made up of Cu and Zn

Reaction score
moonlight22 said:
JiViFiDi said:

If u mean the brass alloy

I chose that zinc dissolves in hydrochloric acid "C"
as copper doesn`t react and brass is made up of Cu and Zn

What I chose too.

Reaction score
For the thing about alloy preventing oxygen to react with rust I put that statement 2 expalin statement 1, it is written in one of the book, where ther placed plating with alloy :p

Reaction score
PUSHPAK1321 said:
For the thing about alloy preventing oxygen to react with rust I put that statement 2 expalin statement 1, it is written in one of the book, where ther placed plating with alloy :p

It would be the other way around. Statement 1 said the part about excluding oxygen. Statement 2 said the part about coating with zinc and so on. Statement 2 can't explain statement 1. It could be the other way around, but that wasn't in the question. Like, you could say that we coat with Zing to exclude oxygen. You can't say you exclude oxygen to coat with Zinc...

Reaction score
Wow I wrote that both are correct but no one explains the other

I take varient 2 and I see same questions came

Reaction score
Just want to include this. All steel is an alloy since there is no base atom "steel". An example of a non alloy would be gold, silver, aluminum, etc. If the metal is not on the periodic chart of the elements, it is an alloy. Stainless steel is in fact defined as a steel alloy--steel itself being mostly iron (an element) with added carbon--alloyed with at least ten percent chromium by mass. But anyway, I still want to know what can others can say about the statement 1 and 2.