• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chemistry and physics 31,33,34

Reaction score
about the diode prob in p33 v did one wid our teacher last year and on da LED or LDR(4got which 1)there were 2 thin wire terminals 1 was a bit longer than da other but i 4got which 1 was da +ive terminal da big 1 or da small 1.plz let me know as soon as possible cuz theres only 1 day left n i really wanna ace my exam this year

Reaction score
I've googled for many sample experiments for this "oil viscocity". And visited a lot of pages to see how the experiment can be done, what are the possible errors, and improvement methods..

These are some of the good answers that I found.

Oil Viscosity

Error

1. small air bubbles are formed on the marble/spheres/(any balls being used) which hindered the motion of the ball
2. two sets of reading not enough to draw a valid conclusion
3. human error in timing
4. marble may have not reached terminal velocity

Method of improvements

1. release the ball/marble just a few mm above the oil surface
2. take more readings and plot a graph
3. use light gate to trigger stopwatch/high speed camera with known time intervals/use video camera with slow motion replay
4. ensure the terminal velocity by increasing the release height/using long tube/measure velocity at two intervals to check terminal velocity reached.

I took three of the errors and method of improvement from october/november 2007 paper 32 question 2 marking scheme.
It is also about terminal velocity.

There are other general improvements that I've found in net...But, I dunno how to state a possible error for them. :D

1. marble released gently into the top of the solution and that it doesn't touch the side of the tube. Using a wider tube
2. Allow oil to stand for a while to let it settle removing all air bubbles

Another source..
http://www.iop.org/activity/education/P ... e_3683.doc

Reaction score
Guys any detailed information about Physics 31. What is the electricity question really about? (Diodes,resistors,etc.) and can some one lists out the errors for the pendulum experiement?

Thanks !!