• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry paper 12 discussion!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
What did the constituent mean? in that petroleum question?? I wasnt sure so i think i checked methane :S

Reaction score
no its not i checked my book the core of the cables is made of steel and aluminum around the steel so the cables don't bend and for sure platinum for electrodes but aluminum for cables :)

Reaction score
respect1 said:
What did the constituent mean? in that petroleum question?? I wasnt sure so i think i checked methane :S

It meant what is it mainly made from.. And yes, it is methane as natural gas is majorly methane. :D

Reaction score
not for the overhead cables as copper is a good conductor of elec so will loss heat rapidly, but steel wont and is a good conductor they us a special alloyed steel for this use only................................ :D

Reaction score
AhmedNES said:
no its not i checked my book the core of the cables is made of steel and aluminum around the steel so the cables don't bend and for sure platinum for electrodes but aluminum for cables :)

Ahhh.. Just read it now :/

Well that is 1 wrong ):

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
AhmedNES said:

Ahhh.. Just read it now :/

Well that is 1 wrong ):

Hey xishtar, but copper cables are also used :p

Reaction score
moonlight22 said:
yeah me too, but what about steel-making thingy ?
do we apply heat to it

The steel making theory was oxygen, CaO and heat..

Unfortunately, I only put oxygen and heat ):

Reaction score
ya that confused me but not for the overhead cables i live in a petroleum country and i dont see yellow brown overhead cables lollllllllllllllllllllll

Reaction score
moonlight22 said:
it`s because we apply heat to oxidize acidic impurities

We dont apply heat to oxidise impurities, oxygen is blown in the blast furnace to oxidise acidic impurites :p

Reaction score
u have to heat so the oxygen gets heated up to react with impurites such as S, C etc and to form calcium oxide to react with SiO2 to form slag