• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEMISTRY PAPER 3- HELP

Reaction score
yousef0074 said:
MAY/JUNE 2010 PAPER 31 QUESTION 3 PART D, WHY IS CONCENTRATION NOT ACCEPTABLE AS AN ANSWER

http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... _qp_31.pdf

http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... _ms_31.pdf

http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... s10_er.pdf

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
im not sure but maybe bcoz its not directly related!!
i mean maybe increasing the concentration of the acid will not hve any effect in inceasing the rate bcoz Mg is the limiting reagent!!

Reaction score
gary221 said:
im not sure but maybe bcoz its not directly related!!
i mean maybe increasing the concentration of the acid will not hve any effect in inceasing the rate bcoz Mg is the limiting reagent!!

This ^

The acid is in excess. Increasing its concentration will make no difference. It's common sense.

Also, please stop typing in all caps, it's annoying.

Reaction score
but i saw examples in many books where increasing the concentration of the acid that is in excess, increased the rate of the reaction producing same final volume of the gas

Reaction score
yousef0074 said:
but i saw examples in many books where increasing the concentration of the acid that is in excess, increased the rate of the reaction producing same final volume of the gas
which egs????

Reaction score
bro if u just pay a little attention to the question u will notice a sntence ( acid in excess) this means there is already sufficent acid for the magnesium to react fully ............. this makes it clear that the variables would not contain concentration rather temp, surface area ,or catalyst ..................... hope u got it

GOOD LUCK FOR UR EXAMS :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Reaction score
brainiac said:
bro if u just pay a little attention to the question u will notice a sntence ( acid in excess) this means there is already sufficent acid for the magnesium to react fully ............. this makes it clear that the variables would not contain concentration rather temp, surface area ,or catalyst ..................... hope u got it

GOOD LUCK FOR UR EXAMS :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Redundant don't you think?

You should really read threads fully before posting, the question has already been answered twice.

And to the topic starter, it depends on the individual experiment. Try to find that question you're talking about. If you can't find it, just remember to use common sense, it actually works.

Reaction score
ok, sorry bro i will try to avoid this mistake in future ....................:)