• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 61 Discussion

Reaction score
alexxx04 said:
HorsePower said:
i dont get why CIE is changing the pattern of each and every exam ?!?!?!? :cry:

No they don't, it just seems like it because Summer 11 is actually YOUR paper, the one YOU are sitting...if you would actually compare every paper of each year, they all have a slightly different format, just like this years exams...alright maybe the ion table was a little short, but other than that...

really easy paper overall :)
no dude, i also gave IG's last year , this wasnt the case last year !

Reaction score
guys may u please telll me what was the liquid N .....I wrote aqueous sodium bromide wat aboutt u guys ???

Reaction score
@imanmalik: check your book properly.. The flame tests for group 1.
Lithium= scarlet.
Potassium= Lilac
Sodium= Yellow.

And please, don't give me that silly expression. We all can be wrong and right here. Get your facts right.

Reaction score
yeah, i'm not discussing either, but variant 1 was REEAAALLLLY tough for me dammit.

Reaction score
starr542 said:
It was soo tough!! I think i lost like 20 marks!! Paper was put of 60 right? :(

Yes, last year in the October/November session, the minimum threshold for an A was 47/60. Thats like 17 mark. We have to hope that the threshold will be much loser this year, and that we will achieve marks higher than the threshold, and do really well in paper 1 and 3.

I wonder though, do students come home every year saying its hard? :S Or is it just us?

Reaction score
@IGCSEdude right, right- the yellow color of the flame from the test on the first one came out of thin air, didn't it? Bet you "BIG LOL"ED reading your question paper too? Nice ;) :good:

Reaction score
@Ashique........You never knew that an organic substance such as an alkane or an alkene would give a flame when it comes in contact with a lighted splint? And in a solution ions are present, not atoms!
A salt solution producing a flame. WOW. -.-

Reaction score
what was the volume of hydrogen peroxide (i think ).... that question of 12.5 cm^3 ... was it 8 cm^3 ??

Reaction score
guys honestly the exam was easy ..... there are lots of repeated ideas but the table was damnnnnnnnnn hard I am going to lose like 6 or 5 marks ... so do u think there will still be a chance to score the A* :(

Reaction score
lolostar95 said:
guys honestly the exam was easy ..... there are lots of repeated ideas but the table was damnnnnnnnnn hard I am going to lose like 6 or 5 marks ... so do u think there will still be a chance to score the A* :(

Dude, P6 is 30% of the mark, total marks 60.
The percentage of an A* in any igcse subject according to cambridge is 90% <---- Without curve
so basically, without the curve 90% * 180, so basically you can lose a maximum of 18marks without the curve to get an A*.
This exam was easy, but for the table as you stated, most my center messed up on the exam, everyone is expecting a low curve.
Minimum curve of chemistry every year is around 25marks total loss to get an A*.
So, dont lose hope and revise for p1 and p3, if you do well on those papers (lose like 15marks total in both), A* 100% ;)
In my opinion, stop thinking about p6 and do well in other exams, its 30% afterall :p

Reaction score
JustAnotherPerson22 said:
lolostar95 said:

The percentage of an A* in any igcse subject according to cambridge is 90% <---- Without curve
so basically, without the curve 90% * 180, so basically you can lose a maximum of 18marks without the curve to get an A*.
This exam was easy, but for the table as you stated, most my center messed up on the exam, everyone is expecting a low curve.
Minimum curve of chemistry every year is around 25marks total loss to get an A*.
So, dont lose hope and revise for p1 and p3, if you do well on those papers (lose like 15marks total in both), A* 100% ;)
In my opinion, stop thinking about p6 and do well in other exams, its 30% afterall :p

umm......isn't the practical paper 20% and the multiple choice exam 30%.....? :%) :shock: :Search: :fool: :unknown: :p

Reaction score
thank you god, w ilhamdulilah. this paper 6 was so damn easy!! why did i even take core. i could have done good in paper 61 and 11. and done ok in paper 31 and gotten a B.
but seriously, i dont get why ppl say that it was hard. I think that i may score 49 /60 . Our centre has prepared us very well i guess.

Reaction score
Oliveme said:
JustAnotherPerson22 said:
lolostar95 said:

umm......isn't the practical paper 20% and the multiple choice exam 30%.....? :%) :shock: :Search: :fool: :unknown: :p

yeah, my bad always get confused, since p6 is 60marks, p1 is 40
sorry :p

Reaction score
Hi everyone! can anyone tell me what was liquid M I wrote sodium bromide. plz dicuss your anwsers with me. :Search: :Search: