• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
yes it is ethanoic acid but how do u get the empirical formula that they have given to us ?
look Ca2+ needs 2(-1) to balance it out ryt??
if we take two of ethanoic acids it gives us C4H6O4
if we take 2 butanedoic acid it gives us something with eight C and with mmethypropanadoic acid is the same case...
only ethanoic acid gives the correct formula. remember to use 2 acids not 1 to balance out the one Ca.

Reaction score
I appreciate it but thats not the right answer...

some reactions such as enthalpy change from the combustion of glucose can be obtained just by using a calorimeter so Hess's Law is not needed...
i didn't say we definitely need Hess for all the enthalpy changes but it is always possible to solve these questions with Hess if nothing else works.
it is just a method. and one that applies to all so that makes it handy if u have a good grip on Hess's law u don't need to work with other methods and formulae and stuff just putt in a Hess's triangle and u got ur thing going. that's wat i am saying

Reaction score
look Ca2+ needs 2(-1) to balance it out ryt??
if we take two of ethanoic acids it gives us C4H6O4
if we take 2 butanedoic acid it gives us something with eight C and with mmethypropanadoic acid is the same case...
only ethanoic acid gives the correct formula. remember to use 2 acids not 1 to balance out the one Ca.

ohh!! ok thnx alot!!!!

Reaction score

3biIW.png

The product gets oxidized.. both the C=C bonds will be broken... CH2 forms CO2 + H2O .. .. CHR forms aldehyde .. and CRR` forms Ketone..

So final product becomes ..

3biQ1.png

Answer is 3.

Reaction score
Reaction score
3biIW.png

The product gets oxidized.. both the C=C bonds will be broken... CH2 forms CO2 + H2O .. .. CHR forms aldehyde .. and CRR` forms Ketone..

So final product becomes ..

3biQ1.png

Answer is 3.

thanks for ur try bro but i asked for november 2009 which u can see on my post please help me at that
thanks

Reaction score
Y = Products formed with reaction with CN + acid .. = CH3+CH(OH)COOH

Z = Product formed after oxidation is = CH3CH2COOH ..

The only difference in both is that Y has one more O then Z. so the difference in mass is 16.

oh i get it now.. thanks so much!

Reaction score
Q1's answer is C. from the data u can infer that 50 cm3 of O2 was used to burn 10cm3 of hydrocarbon (CxHy)
make up an equation for the unknown hydrocarbon for ur aid and u'll c that 1 mol of CxHy requires 5 moles of O2 to produce 3 mol of CO2. 6 O go into the CO2 and the remaining 4 (from 5 O2) go to the H2O which means that 4 H2O molecules were formed. so we have 8 H and 3 C thus the ansewr.

Q2's answer is bcz 2 mol of NaN3 make 3 mol of N2 which means 1 mol makes 1.5 mol of N2 directly. then the Na produced also makes N2.
wth 2 mol of NaN3 we get 2 mol of Na so with 1 mol we get 1 mol of Na.
10 mol of Na produce 1 mol of N2 so 1 mol produces 0.1 mol
so total N2 produced is 1.5 + 0.6 = 1.6mol

i don't get q10 so if u get an answer for that tag me ^_^

Q10:

Kp = ((2/3)^2)/(1/3)

= 4/9 / 1/3
= 4/9 * 3/1
= 4/3

Units: atm*atm/atm = atm