• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry?

Reaction score
hey people ...... wanted to ask is there a simple way int which we can remember the preparation and separation of salts ........ e.g. i have seen questions asking to make a salt by two reactants (given) and explain how can we get pure crystals.?? :shock:

Reaction score
The question must also have stated which salt you are to prepare, right? If it is insoluble, use precipitation. In this case two water-soluble reagents are used to form a precipitate. Use one regent in excess. Filter to collect the ppt. wash it with a little distilled water and then leave it to dry on filter paper.
If it is a soluble salt, use reactions with acids. Then have a look at the reagents and determine whether both reagents are soluble or not. If they are soluble, use titration method:
1) acid + alkali
2) acid + carbonate solution.
If one reagent is insoluble, use reactions of acids with insoluble substances:
1) acid + excess metal
2) acid + excess insoluble carbonate
3) acid + excess insoluble base.
Filter, condense till saturation point, crystallise. Wash the crystals with a little cold distilled water to remove impurities. Leave the crystals to dry on a piece of filter paper.
Did this help? If not, give me specific question.

Reaction score
good to know that :)
Why on earth is it diff. to press thank! :p I've been finding every excuse to thank people, it would be nice if i get some back too......

Reaction score
oh sorry for that ............ tried it before (pressing thanks button) but it wasnt responding ............. here you go ................ DONE :D

Reaction score
silent hunter ....just wait i am gonna upload my notes for acid bases and salt with explanation of salt preparation.