• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CIE Grading System

Reaction score
Asalam o alaikum,
I had this doubt about the percentage system .
I read somewhere on this forum that 80% & above is A while 90% above is A*.
But most of my friends have almost convinced me that A begins from 85%.
Ill be really grateful is someone cleared this doubt with proof :)

Reaction score
Well there has been a lotttttt of argument on this issue ...
Simply you just take syllabus of any subject and take a look at its last page containing info about percentage etc
It's clearly written that A* is on 90%
and A grade is on 80%
they are awarded according to our raw marks but after the application of GRADE THRESHOLDS ( grade boundaries)

Reaction score
Every year is different, a paper could be hard one year and simpler the other year, there have been years when an A* in Math was as low as 85, and at times 95+. Its not fixed, the page you are talking about is just an estimate to let you know how you should perform to get a certain grade.

Reaction score
Look it's certain that 90% is A* and 80% is A.
But sometimes papers are a bit difficult or a bit easy so they raise or decrease the percentage accordingly.

Reaction score
CIE somtimes does relative marking where da grading criteria changes accordin to how hard or easy a ppr is compard 2 da past yrs while da normal marking is A above or on 80% n A* above or on 90%.
hope u undrstud!:)

Reaction score
Everyone here is right!
A* is on 90% and A is on 80% as written on the syllabus. But the criteria for marking is different.
Percentile system is used in O levels but it doesn't change the grade boundaries.

Reaction score
like they would tell you :p
First of all I have E-mail them for this cause many times, yet i get replies which are totally different to my queries :p

Reaction score
what about grading (1-9), what are the % to get 1?????????how cambridge people count chemistry,physics,biology papers???