• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CIE marking/grading system

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to know if anyone knows how CIE marks our papers? Im giving As now, and in my O levels, my score in all subjects was more than what i expected. I know that the score we get is a percentage of some genius's score who gets highest marks in our country or the world. But im not sure about it. Can someone who knows please explain how this exactly works? Thankyou :)

Reaction score
From the CIE website:
What are the percentages for each grade at Cambridge O Level?
The process of grading in Cambridge O Level involves deciding the minimum mark necessary for each grade. We do not have predetermined thresholds (or quotas of candidates). After each examination series we decide the minimum marks for each threshold (grade boundaries) for each individual component. We carry out this process in order to ensure that the demands on the candidates are the same for every subject and every examination series. We are therefore unable to provide a general list of percentages required for each grade.
I don't know whether it is outdated but .. it's on their website currently.

Reaction score
This is how they marked chemistry last summer.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2012-04-29 06:03:43.png
    Screenshot at 2012-04-29 06:03:43.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score
and how the hell is chemistry AS out of 130 :S ??? see paper 1 total marks =40 ... paper 2 = 60 ..paper 3 =40 .thats 140 , but it says on the Grade threshold file out of 130 ..how :S ?

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the s1 s2 s3 thing actually. But i think it's to do with variants. They just mashed up different variants together and gave them names ( because the didn't write anything underneath combination of components) and yes the paper is out of 140 not 130 i HAVE NO IDEA what's going on >.< I'll ask somebody so stay tuned

Reaction score
Hey can anybody tell me whether 80% above in each subject is A or B grade for AS levels (not A2 or As result combined) o_O

Reaction score
Hey can anybody tell me whether 80% above in each subject is A or B grade for AS levels (not A2 or As result combined) o_O

The marks needed for an A depends per subject... so for example in chemistry (http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_gt.pdf) year 2012, A was at a 90/130. That was 69% for an A.

Oh and the marks are not adding upto 140 to take the weightage of P3 into account. (total 40 marks is reduced to 30 marks) For example if I got 32/40 in P3, it'll count as 24/30 marks. (80%)