• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CIE vs EDEXCEL

Reaction score
guys

as far as I know, there are two exam boards for international AS & A2

and I think most ppl would agree Edexcel is a much easier option, and it's easier to get high UMS mark.

+ It's modular so u can retake only the modules u want.

So I wanna know if there's any advantage of doing CIE ones. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Not really, except that the most universities know that CIE is harder is harder than Edexcel...

Reaction score
No actually, they're judged on the same basis.
But if you're doing CIE you're application level will be higher than that of edexcel students, as in you'll be able to cover up your uni courses easily.

Reaction score
CIE examinations are constructed in a way that they prepare the candidate more towards the degree that they want to follow. Not just plain theory but very practical knowledge

Reaction score
edexcel is for weak and poor candidates how have a hard time dealing with subs + it does not provide an healthy and challenging learning experience .

and da resources available r not as much as resources of CIE.

Reaction score
@wellwisher, dude who said that edexcel is for weak students? That's utter crap. Toppers opt for edexcel to maintain that A*, seriously, just becuse edexcel is not widely available in Pk doesn' mean that it's not good!

Reaction score
I DONT LIVE IN PAK 1ST OF ALL!!

and our skool shifted to cie cuz they said the syllabus is ridiculous, they dont have enough resources. and even da teachers wr finding difficulty solving past papers.

da syllabus has changed 4rm 2010.

its convenient for maths which is extremely easy .
however da science subs r rubbish.

even in uk they prefer AQA AND OCR for science subs rather than edexcel.

Reaction score
as far as da recognition is concerned CIE AND EDEXCEL ARE BOTH TREATED EQUALLY!!

THERE IS NO PREFERENCE GIVEN!!!!
ALSO U WONT GET MUCH HELP 4RM DIS FORUM IF U TAKE EDEXCEL :p

i am not against edexcel , but these 4 da core facts.

Reaction score
aquariangurl said:
Really? Hell, schools here are shifting to edexcel because thet don't want students getting crap results! And yeah edexcel IS easier than CIE, they have a better social life than us :)

yes in my city 3 skools shifted dis year

while my skool shifted 2 years ago.

well in edexcel not many have a good social life cuz they r struggling! lol lack of resources

my neighbor next door is giving edexcel. we use to be in da same skool but switched to cie

Reaction score
My neighbour/really good friend is also giving edexcel, nd she's always in Dubai Mall -_- And I've just been there a couple of times. Now isn't that a major difference in social life?

Reaction score
ideggkr said:
guys

as far as I know, there are two exam boards for international AS & A2

and I think most ppl would agree Edexcel is a much easier option, and it's easier to get high UMS mark.

+ It's modular so u can retake only the modules u want.

So I wanna know if there's any advantage of doing CIE ones. Any ideas?
yes there is!
when u join uni u will realize that EDEXCEL syllabus doesnt have some topics included in CIE

Reaction score
i think there are like wayy more online/print resources for cie than for edexcel... so it's easier to prep for cie... plus i somehow can't understand any questions in edexcel past papers. like, i get confused about what they're asking. so i guess it matters what format you're used to.

Reaction score
Hmm.. so in a nutshell, for university application u'r advantaged for doing edexcel as long as u have proper textbooks for it.

But seriously guys

Dunno about other subjects but CIE further math can't be/shouldn't be equivalent to edexcel further math. They really need to sit together n figure this inequality