• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computer Science: IBA VS FAST!

Vote:

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi and Asalam O Alaikum all.

I'm currently an A2 student and want to continue my further studies in CS field.
Which university is better? FAST OR IBA?

I know that people will say that for CS, FAST is better.
But why not IBA?

What are your thoughts?
Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Reaction score
how about COMSAT ???? nd tell me is software engineering is better than CS?
Also do u have to have computer science in Alevel for CS ?...nd how hard is it?
nd what comes in the test ???

Reaction score
Hi and Asalam O Alaikum all.

I'm currently an A2 student and want to continue my further studies in CS field.
Which university is better? FAST OR IBA?

I know that people will say that for CS, FAST is better.
But why not IBA?

What are your thoughts?
Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Cuz FAST specializes in Computer Education as IBA does in Business.
FAST has a good experience in CS, they have industrial links, they have their graduates in all major companies of Pakistan (will definitely help u scoring a job).
IBA is a reputable university as well. But in the current context, FAST is way better.

Reaction score
how about COMSAT ???? nd tell me is software engineering is better than CS?
Also do u have to have computer science in Alevel for CS ?...nd how hard is it?
nd what comes in the test ???

COMSATS is in ISB. I'm looking for institutes which are situated in Karachi.

I personally think CS is better. CS also gives you an idea about hardware.

No. I had chem (worst subject ever), math, phy.
For CS you only need math and phy. Take any other easy third subject. Urdu maybe? ;)
But A'levels computing ain't that hard. Chem is harder.

For IBA, the test is basically SAT based. Go to their site and see the syllabus.
For FAST, you'll have to study some intermediate stuff. Go to their site and check the syllabus out.

Reaction score
Cuz FAST specializes in Computer Education as IBA does in Business.
FAST has a good experience in CS, they have industrial links, they have their graduates in all major companies of Pakistan (will definitely help u scoring a job).
IBA is a reputable university as well. But in the current context, FAST is way better.

Thanks for your reply.
Do you live in Khi?
Coz man, FAST is on the other end of the world. IBA is just five minutes away from my home.

Apart from that. FAST don't have much ECAs either (atleast for that i've heard). IBA has them.
I'll be spending my 4 years there. I don't want to live a boring life. :s

Reaction score
COMSATS is in ISB. I'm looking for institutes which are situated in Karachi.

I personally think CS is better. CS also gives you an idea about hardware.

No. I had chem (worst subject ever), math, phy.
For CS you only need math and phy. Take any other easy third subject. Urdu maybe? ;)
But A'levels computing ain't that hard. Chem is harder.

For IBA, the test is basically SAT based. Go to their site and see the syllabus.
For FAST, you'll have to study some intermediate stuff. Go to their site and check the syllabus out.
ya well im from Lahore and giving CIE's right now (i also took math phy and chem)
and I i have No intentions of going to karachi,
but i hear FAST also take SAT1 ppl, and i have given SAT ,(what is a good score of SAT1 considered in FAST ?(only if u knw))
And thnx for the info

A_K

Reaction score
ya well im from Lahore and giving CIE's right now (i also took math phy and chem)
and I i have No intentions of going to karachi,
but i hear FAST also take SAT1 ppl, and i have given SAT ,(what is a good score of SAT1 considered in FAST ?(only if u knw))
And thnx for the info

• Selection on the basis of SAT score
  • - Combined score of 1,500 or more in the SAT-I examination AND
  • - At least 550 in the SAT-II (Math Level IIC) examination.
Source : http://www.nu.edu.pk/Admissions#Eligibility...
By the way why go for SAT when there is NTS NAT IE option available for FAST ... ?? Its like 100 times easier ...

Reaction score
  • Selection on the basis of SAT score
  • - Combined score of 1,500 or more in the SAT-I examination AND
  • - At least 550 in the SAT-II (Math Level IIC) examination.
Source : http://www.nu.edu.pk/Admissions#Eligibility...
By the way why go for SAT when there is NTS NAT IE option available for FAST ... ?? Its like 100 times easier ...
I just hate giving tests so i ws hoping SAT wud get me in
i got 1860 in SAT1 ..... do u think i got a chance thru SAT ?

A_K

Reaction score
I just hate giving tests so i ws hoping SAT wud get me in
i got 1860 in SAT1 ..... do u think i got a chance thru SAT ?

Ya you sure do but for that u'll have to get a 550 in SAT 2 also ... They require both SAT 1 and 2 ... That is why NAT IE is a much better idea if fast is where you want to go ... you don't even have to prepare for NAT :)

Reaction score
Ya you sure do but for that u'll have to get a 550 in SAT 2 also ... They require both SAT 1 and 2 ... That is why NAT IE is a much better idea if fast is where you want to go ... you don't even have to prepare for NAT :)
oh crap !!! :( my SAT score is of no use to ANY uni i apply too,,,i hope NAT is easy u applying too ?

A_K

Reaction score
oh crap !!! :( my SAT score is of no use to ANY uni i apply too,,,i hope NAT is easy u applying too ?

Nah I am in a uni already ... :) Did this stuff last year ... just helping you guys out :) .... dont worry NAT would be really easy ...

Reaction score
Yes i did ... made it through to all campuses except CS in lhr campus ... They required 80 I scored a 79 in NAT :p
i need to know this as soon as possible, first tell me how did u prepare for NAT, and what grades u got in o lev and a lev ?, and what books do i study from, i just randomly did their 2006 sample test and got a poor poor result that im very ashamed of, and it wsnt THAT easy they did have some very HIGH vocab questions in eng and some fsc part that i skipped, my result came as ;
Total Unattempted questions = 20
Total attempted questions = 50
Correctly answered questions = 31
Incorrectly answered questions = 19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total questions = 70
what do i do now, ? help !!!

A_K

Reaction score
i need to know this as soon as possible, first tell me how did u prepare for NAT, and what grades u got in o lev and a lev ?, and what books do i study from, i just randomly did their 2006 sample test and got a poor poor result that im very ashamed of, and it wsnt THAT easy they did have some very HIGH vocab questions in eng and some fsc part that i skipped, my result came as ;
Total Unattempted questions = 20
Total attempted questions = 50
Correctly answered questions = 31
Incorrectly answered questions = 19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total questions = 70
what do i do now, ? help !!!
I am a matric - fsc guy :) .. Honestly, did not prepare for the test. Perhaps it used to be m0re competitive and difficult back in 2006 but it was pretty straight forward last year. The physics portion should be piece of cake for those with o-a level background as fsc phy is usually very easy for u ppl ... Maths is no big deal either ... I dont kn0w ab0ut 2006 but there was no bombastic vocab last year. They have probably made it simpler n0w ... And if it helps , o-a level ppl score much m0re in NAT than the ones with fsc backgr0und .. its hardly a test so take it easy.. Besides, u can always give it another shot if u d0nt get a g0od score the first time. Har m0nth repeat hota hai .. :p And there are many prep bo0ks for NAT out there .. U should buy one just to get m0re familiar with the pattern and stuff...

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
Do you live in Khi?
Coz man, FAST is on the other end of the world. IBA is just five minutes away from my home.

Apart from that. FAST don't have much ECAs either (atleast for that i've heard). IBA has them.
I'll be spending my 4 years there. I don't want to live a boring life. :s

I'm from Lahore, living in Islamabad (studying in NUST)
Distace from home should be the least of your concerns when choosing the university. UET is 5 minutes away from my home, and I didn't even give the test as I didn't want to go there. Rather I chose to travel to different city to study in the uni I liked. If u still not feel satisfied then know that there are many students who have come all the way from Karachi to Islamabad (2 of my best friends are from khi). These things don't matter, so don't regard them while making a decision.
As far as I know, FAST also gives some ECA opportunities. Agreed, IBA gives more but if u have the ability to get involved in these activities then u can join them (and spend a happy 4 years) in FAST too.
Remember, ur primary factor in choosing the uni should be the course and the expertise of the uni in delivering that course. Other things are secondary!