• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computing or Applied ICT or any other ??

Reaction score
Assalamalikum

can u guide me which subject is better Computing or AICT to choose in A level as i am aiming for Software Engineering.. plz give reasons for ur answer and plz also provide source/books/reference for studying them as my school is providing none I am desperately waiting for your reply

Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Wslm!

ICT theory covers the applications of ICT and its effect on society. Computing theory covers the way computers and programs work. While Computing involves the use of programming languages such as Visual Basic and Prolog.

If you want to become a software engineer then I suggest you take Computing . From what I've heard is that many universities don't accept an A level ICT as a "high-ranked" a level subject. Computing is much more intense compared to ICT and makes use of much more programming using software , which is highly useful if you want to become a software engineer. In Computing you do four papers for A level , 2 for AS and 2 for A2. You will also be required to write and develop your own programme as a "project" for A level computing which can be abit challenging if you don't have good sufficient and adequate programming knowledge.

Hope I helped be free to ask me any more questions :)
ps : don't waste your time with ICT

provide me with your email and I'll send you some notes which are very useful and will cover the whole course, however I highly suggest that you start using some programming software such as pascal/java/delphi.

Reaction score
Jzkallah switch brother, May Allah grant you with immense knowledge and ultimate success in both lifes.. Ameen
yesterday while searching(cie) i found the same but a confusion as you said 2 papers in AS and 2 in A2 but at syllabus(Sec1:9) there's "AS", "A2" and "A" so what is "A" combination of AS and A2, i am facing difficulty in understanding paper structure(like also why half weightage in "A" column) , plz explain, i would be vry grateful :)...

Jazakllah for your advice, i have nice background in .net. i'll cover the project inshallah..

email PMed :)

Reaction score
No Problem :)

Ok , A level is made out of the AS Level and A2 level. AS level is half of the computing A level course , the A2 level is the other half. You have the option of only taking the AS level course or taking both the AS and A2 level course. If you end up taking the full A level course then your final work will be comprised of the four papers that you have done , two for AS and two for A2. The AS will count 50% and the A2 will count 50% from what I heard. If you don't take A2 then your full 100% will come from the AS paper only.

I have sent the notes to your inbox, they are extensive in detail and will adequately cover your syllabus.

Hope I helped :) , I too will be doing my AS computing in oct/Nov this year and will do the A2 next year :)

Reaction score
If you'd ask me, Computing in A-level (and O-level) is a waste of time because what you are learning in about a year could easily done by yourself in about a month or so using good tutorials for programming/software-designing on the internet, provided you are interested in learning it. Well, at least for me. It seems like most schools like to teach Visual Basic which has terrible syntax, makes bloated softwares and is generally frowned upon. I would study something like C#, C++, C, Python or something like that instead.

This is just my opinion though. And I suppose this is sort of irrelevant to the thread, but I wanted to post about it anyway. :\

Reaction score
switch said:
I have posted the notes on the forum
JAzakAllah frnd can u provide me the link..

leosco1995 said:
If you'd ask me, Computing in A-level (and O-level) is a waste of time because what you are learning in about a year could easily done by yourself in about a month or so using good tutorials for programming/software-designing on the internet, provided you are interested in learning it. Well, at least for me. It seems like most schools like to teach Visual Basic which has terrible syntax, makes bloated softwares and is generally frowned upon. I would study something like C#, C++, C, Python or something like that instead.

This is just my opinion though. And I suppose this is sort of irrelevant to the thread, but I wanted to post about it anyway. :\
well thnks but its something u have to do i mean compulsory or complimentry, university req so
well i made asp.net (c#).backend powered website in my O'levels,

its something complimentry we have to do :p

Reaction score
Yeah.. you are right. Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about it. :(

well i made asp.net (c#).backend powered website in my O'levels,
That's really great.. well done. :) Even a very simple website coded in ASP.NET is impressive in my opinion.

Reaction score
well that was teacher's online class tool, in which numerous teachers can register their own different students and can add their homeworks classworks comments Special Comments(which students can not see) and teachers were also able to send email to their email accounts :)..