• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Current : Is it a vector or a scalar quantity?

Reaction score
Current is a scalar quantity.

The only vector quantities we study of are - Displacement, velocity, acceleration, momentum, moments, force (weight), and electric field strength.

Reaction score
In kirchoff's law if current is flowing in the opposite direction, we take the current as negative? i am not sure if current is a vector or scalar.
please clarify :confused:

Reaction score
vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. but scalar quantities only magnitude.
current have only a magnitude and no direction coz direction tells if its positive or negative.. accordingly current have no direction so its a scalar quantity. am i correct :)

Reaction score
umarashraf
i think torque is scalar. till now i havent come across anything which says torque is negative which makes it to have a direction. since there is no direction its scalar. :)

Reaction score
umarashraf
i think torque is scalar. till now i havent come across anything which says torque is negative which makes it to have a direction. since there is no direction its scalar. :)
Torque is a vector quantity.It is a vector or cross product of moment arm and force and its direction is perpendicular to the plane containing force and moment arm. Torque is maximum when the angle between force and moment arm is 90 degree and it is zero when force and moment arm are parallel or anti parallel.

Reaction score
In kirchoff's law if current is flowing in the opposite direction, we take the current as negative? i am not sure if current is a vector or scalar.
Current is a scaler quantity. As we know, if two currents meet at a junction, the total current of the resultant current will be the algebraic sum of the two current and not the vector sum.For current only the magnitude is taken into account,and not the direction.Also,current does not the follow the parallelogram law of vector addition.:)
Hope this helps(y)

Reaction score
Current is a scaler quantity. As we know, if two currents meet at a junction, the total current of the resultant current will be the algebraic sum of the two current and not the vector sum.For current only the magnitude is taken into account,and not the direction.Also,current does not the follow the parallelogram law of vector addition.:)
Hope this helps(n)
k thanks

Reaction score
umarashraf

am afraid bro.. torque is for sure a vector quantity.... it has same direction as the direction of applied force...

Reaction score
am afraid bro.. torque is for sure a vector quantity.... it has same direction as the direction of applied force...
very right(y)
Torque is a vector quantity as both the magnitude as well as the direction are considered..plus it also follows the parallelogram law of vector addition:sneaky:

Reaction score

current is a scalar quantity.. although it has direction and magnitude as well... but it does not obey the law of vector additions mate... so it is not regarded as a vector quantity...

Reaction score
Torque is a vector quantity.It is a vector or cross product of moment arm and force and its direction is perpendicular to the plane containing force and moment arm. Torque is maximum when the angle between force and moment arm is 90 degree and it is zero when force and moment arm are parallel or anti parallel.
thanx i get it now :)