• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics AS - p2

Reaction score
Hey guys! how did you find p2? section A; last part for 6pts was a nut cracker! and which essays did u choose? i chose 4) expenditure dampening stuff! but most if not everyone from my class chose number 3 about merit and demerit! lol

Reaction score
I chose Demerit and Merit goods. There was a dilemma though! between no.3 and no.4. And for Data Response... The 6 marks question... not sure bro

Reaction score
Hey man! Hi5! I really ha to choose between 3 and 4! But believed 4 had more to write for part b! Anyways we'll see the other papers treat us! Goodluck yo

MUB

Reaction score
hey guys can you help with the question no. 3a of section B...please take a little bit of your time and read this
3a) explain the difference between merit and demerit goods with diagrams
so this is what i wrote basically ( i will be writing in short forms )
Defn. merit goods
defn. of demerit goods
Stating that merit goods are under consumed due to the lack of information (and stating that the external benefits are not registered in the account by the consumers)
stating that demerit good are over produced due to the lack of information. ( and also stating about the external cost that is not taken into account by the producers)

however, this is where i have gone wrong, i have explained the above property of de merit goods like this.
1)since the producer does not have to pay the external cost , the government intervenes and imposes taxes (shifting the supply curve to the left ) and correcting the quantity to the amount that should be produced ...however before govt. intervenes the de merit goods are overproduced .(also showing the amount of tax imposed )
and i have explained the under consumption of merit goods similarly like the overproduction of demerit goods.
^ i know i am wrong .... but i would like to know whether i can get at least a 4 out of 8 ( or maybe a 5)
sorry if anyone feels annoyed for any reason. thank you

Reaction score
Hey guys! how did you find p2? section A; last part for 6pts was a nut cracker! and which essays did u choose? i chose 4) expenditure dampening stuff! but most if not everyone from my class chose number 3 about merit and demerit! lol

Have you appeared for AS physics

Reaction score
Hi! MUB, I think you are able to at least gain 4-6 marks from definitions and stating the reason it's under/over consumed.

I wrote:
-Definition of merit goods
-Why it is under produced and under consumed
-Examples (Education and Inoculation)
-Associated with positive externalities
-Graph for negative externalities (MSC curve)
-Graph for underconsumption of Merit goods (Demand Curve)

And vice versa for Demerit goods.

MUB

Reaction score
Hi! MUB, I think you are able to at least gain 4-6 marks from definitions and stating the reason it's under/over consumed.

I wrote:
-Definition of merit goods
-Why it is under produced and under consumed
-Examples (Education and Inoculation)
-Associated with positive externalities
-Graph for negative externalities (MSC curve)
-Graph for underconsumption of Merit goods (Demand Curve)

And vice versa for Demerit goods.
thank you.. for your opinion

Reaction score
HI.....
ahmm i am takng busns in as but m confuse abt economic can anyone suggest me ?? should i take economic or nt coz i neva studied eco before thtz y m confuse...is it easy ???

Reaction score
hey i chose the same question in sect B! thou i did find section A quiet challenging! and ya i gave my phy prac!