• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics Trade union question (Need help)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently had my Economics paper 2 on Oct. 27th. In the paper I encountered a question for which the answer I gave makes me doubtful.

The question was:

Why may some people may not belong to a trade union? (4 marks)

My answer:

People may not belong to a trade union for a number of reasons. Firstly, some workers may fear that if their employers or firms cannot fulfill their demands then they maybe made redundant. For example, if a firm cannot afford satisfy the workers' demands for higher wages, then the firm might make them unemployed.
Secondly, some workers may not have any objections regarding their work or working condition and may not find it necessary to join a trade union.
Moreover, some firms may provide more fringe benefits to workers which may compensate for other drawbacks such as a low wage and therefore workers might not pay much importance to a trade union membership.

How many marks should I be rewarded for this answer?

Thanks

Reaction score
I bet it is a 4/4 answer. Because the content was upto the mark... However the volume of the answer was not satisfactory... Assuming you gave a little more detail in the paper, you will get 4 marks.

Reaction score
For eg. in the first statement
You should have included WHY the company could not meet their demands... The company might be on a low ebb, working in loss, not succesful enough to meet their needs etc.

Reaction score
^ Yeah exactly ! The first point ain't clear enough. But as a whole, the answer gives a general impression of understanding the question and whatsoever. That i think, will help you score 3 or even 4. I hope its a 4 though! :wink: :)