• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English (1123) : How'd it go guys? :)

Reaction score
the first one :( i ran out of time...spend too much on thinking :(

What's done is done, did you just miss the ending line's'? Had you already included the 3 clauses that were given? If so, I don't think they should deduct more than 4-5 marks, max.

Reaction score
I f***** it up too...dnt know why i thought the paper was of 1 hour 45 min...i could only write approx 300 words in part two.... how many do you think would be deducted??

As far as I remember, this time they advised us to write between 400-500 words, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)
Now, if you've written around 300, your marks would really depend on the content of your written piece. Did you use correct grammar, language, sentence-structure? As we see that your number of words are way below the minimum required (which I believe was either 400 or 350?) there is a very big possibility that they would rightly deduct marks, but if your content is good enough, I believe they should not axe more than 6-8 marks, max. Again, this is only an assumption, and your marks would really depend on your essay's/article's content.

Reaction score
What's done is done, did you just miss the ending line's'? Had you already included the 3 clauses that were given? If so, I don't think they should deduct more than 4-5 marks, max.
it was story. third question. and i had to write the dialogue in the last paragraph. i wrote it after the paper was over. but i should have written 2-4 more lines before. it wouldnt make sense to the examiner :( :( :( ::(

Reaction score
it was story. third question. and i had to write the dialogue in the last paragraph. i wrote it after the paper was over. but i should have written 2-4 more lines before. it wouldnt make sense to the examiner :( :( :( ::(

I thought you just said that you were speaking of the first question. Having said that, it seems you completed your story, just not as great an ending as you wanted to give it. Believe me, that won't be a problem. Keep calm. :D

Reaction score
As far as I remember, this time they advised us to write between 400-500 words, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)
Now, if you've written around 300, your marks would really depend on the content of your written piece. Did you use correct grammar, language, sentence-structure? As we see that your number of words are way below the minimum required (which I believe was either 400 or 350?) there is a very big possibility that they would rightly deduct marks, but if your content is good enough, I believe they should not axe more than 6-8 marks, max. Again, this is only an assumption, and your marks would really depend on your essay's/article's content.
minimum is 350 words....thanks a lot...22 out of 30 is still okay i suppose...now i have to ace the paper 2 tomorrow...

Reaction score
I screwed in section A but section B went really good. I misread the question of the article and didn't write the description of the student. i think, i also exceeded he word limit in the article. just hope of getting an A in this paper.

Reaction score
I exceeded the word limit on both sides due to lack of planning. I wrote the headline of the article as "The newcomer's visit". It seems lame to me now but it was the best I could think of over there, will it do? I also did not give the word count because I ran out of time.

Reaction score
it was 300 to 500 or 350 to 500 but it was never 400.

Reaction score
if you exceed the words in the english paper do they simply cut one or two marks or do they disqualify u or something?

Reaction score
if you exceed the words in the english paper do they simply cut one or two marks or do they disqualify u or something?

Disqualification is highly unlikely. They set the word limit so that a general idea can be put forward for the students to act upon. Although it's best to abide by their so-called 'advise'.

Reaction score
it was 300 to 500 or 350 to 500 but it was never 400.

Thankyou, Mahnoor. And yes, I do recall now, it was 350-500.
Oh and, the title's just fine. As for the word count, not once in the question paper or the instuctions did they mention anything about the word count. I didn't quote it either, hopefully that should be okay. :)

Reaction score
Well, they say you are ADVISED to write between (limit). They do have a 50 word margin but I personally think that its your TASK FULFILLMENT and LANGUAGE that counts the most, they say so in the marking scheme. For one thing the CIE Revision Guide said they do not waste time counting the words. And you could never get disqualified unless on the slim chance you wrote 10 pages or something.

Reaction score
minimum is 350 words....thanks a lot...22 out of 30 is still okay i suppose...now i have to ace the paper 2 tomorrow...

That was a rough idea by myself, I'm sure you've done well in the previous paper. We tend to exaggerate our mistakes.
As for the one tomorrow, good luck, love! :)

Reaction score
Thankyou, Mahnoor. And yes, I do recall now, it was 350-500.
Oh and, the title's just fine. As for the word count, not once in the question paper or the instuctions did they mention anything about the word count. I didn't quote it either, hopefully that should be okay. :)
Yes hopefully we'll all be okay. BEST OF LUCK for p2 tomorrow! May ALLAH help everyone. =D

Reaction score
I screwed in section A but section B went really good. I misread the question of the article and didn't write the description of the student. i think, i also exceeded he word limit in the article. just hope of getting an A in this paper.

My first piece was seemingly interesting, atleast to me. (I hope the examiners have a tad bit sense of cultural humour!)
Good luck with your exam tomorrow. :)