• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Paper 1

Reaction score
Hi, the most unfortunate thing happened with me. My section one went amazingly well, and section two, well I chose to write on topic three the one in which you have to include the line about the neighbor. I built up a story, the language used was fairly eloquent and I articulated myself well, but i was only just including the line (it came at the end of the passage) but I ran out of time, I had to give it in with only half of that line written, so yeah, it was unfinished.
Any ideas as to how much I may be penalized? I hope it's not a zero, English happened to be my favorite subject =\

Reaction score
Hi, the most unfortunate thing happened with me. My section one went amazingly well, and section two, well I chose to write on topic three the one in which you have to include the line about the neighbor. I built up a story, the language used was fairly eloquent and I articulated myself well, but i was only just including the line (it came at the end of the passage) but I ran out of time, I had to give it in with only half of that line written, so yeah, it was unfinished.
Any ideas as to how much I may be penalized? I hope it's not a zero, English happened to be my favorite subject =\
one of my friend did exactly the same in his mock exam ... got an E .
not demoralizing you , just hope for the best and pray to God.

Reaction score
It won't be a zero, you mean to say you were including the line at the hand and have included like half of the line?

If that's the case and you have written a well-written essay with a good vocabulary and few mistakes, you will most probably lose 7-10 marks at MOST. but that's just my logic.

but if you haven't included the line at all, I think you will get marks no more than 15.

Reaction score
I guess you might lose a few marks for not writing the line but hopefully not a zero. Read the syllabus and you'll be able to judge where you might be penalized.
Best of luck!

Reaction score
It won't be a zero, you mean to say you were including the line at the hand and have included like half of the line?

If that's the case and you have written a well-written essay with a good vocabulary and few mistakes, you will most probably lose 7-10 marks at MOST. but that's just my logic.

but if you haven't included the line at all, I think you will get marks no more than 15.

Exactly ^^^

Reaction score
if it's half written then i don't think the examiner will cut much marks.
well, i wrote the line in the beginning but the problem is that i continued writting as my neighbour was my best friend but in the beginning i wrote the word neighbour. is it right?? .i didn't use good vocabulary though i used some smilies. is it necessary that we write so much difficult words?????
i didn't use much difficult words but simple ones.

Reaction score
if it's half written then i don't think the examiner will cut much marks.
well, i wrote the line in the beginning but the problem is that i continued writting as my neighbour was my best friend but in the beginning i wrote the word neighbour. is it right?? .i didn't use good vocabulary though i used some smilies. is it necessary that we write so much difficult words?????
i didn't use much difficult words but simple ones.

not really, and i think it is better if u write in your natural manner, and dont unnecessarily try to insert large and difficult words, examiner's are annoyed and they may cut marks if they do not fit!

Reaction score
I don't think they would deduct much marks for that, as your story was also just finishing, if your story was over all good and you did not make any punctuation and spelling mistakes you might actually go for 20/30 which considering your blunder is pretty high :)

Reaction score

aww you wont lose marks for that just maybe one or two, especially if you wrote what you seem to say- an outstanding story. don't worry, i myself messed up a little bit on the presentation because i crossed something out, i dont know, bleh, examiners aren't going to fail you based on a few lines lacking, im sure they'll understand. they are pro's at this afterall. chill and just be ready for the comprehension which will get you full marks. p.s future references literally scribble the last word or two. and look at the clock occasionally despite your dedication to your paper, ahah.

Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone. I read the marking scheme of a similar paper (November 2011). It says that in section 2, language is comparatively important. I just hope I can muster an A with a good paper 2. Thanks and good luck for your upcoming exams ^_^

Reaction score
did u write complete story nd that major sentence was the last sentence of the story?? if yea then dunt worry but if ur story was left unfinished wid no definite concluding den yes u r in danger of getting sum marks deducted

Reaction score
Thanks, a few marks, I can deal with, anything around 20 would be a blessing, really.

Reaction score
Thanks, a few marks, I can deal with, anything around 20 would be a blessing, really.
u didnt tell that whether it was supposed to b the last sentence of the story or many more were to follow?

Reaction score
I crossed out many lines so i'll b penalized on ds or nt
You won't be penalized. Your allowed to cross out anything you don't want the examiner to read, without making the crossed out part illegible. Its written in the instructions at the beginning of the paper.

Reaction score
You won't be penalized. Your allowed to cross out anything you don't want the examiner to read, without making the crossed out part illegible. Its written in the instructions at the beginning of the paper.
I crossed about 3 whole unnecessary lines to make the words come under the advised range

Reaction score
u didnt tell that whether it was supposed to b the last sentence of the story or many more were to follow?
The character was going to say 'that' sentence to his wife. She was going to give a three word reply. This was going to be the end of the story, so yeah, not many more to follow