• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ENSLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE... URGENT HELP

Reaction score
please guys help me out
how should i start and end any letter or article in igcse english as a second language.
basically the structure for letter and article writing.
or also, maybe the starting and ending may help...
ASAP

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Like for an article of course u'll give the introduction first and for letter ...for a friendly one u can start by saying sorry for replying late to the last letter or saying that we haven't talked since a long time or congratulating her on her exam result or telling that u ant to give a good news or share something!!

Reaction score
give me a hint. for ex- topic for the article is music, an important part of life. or do choose any topic. just guide me through..

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Actually I am not an expert in English...that was just a ew points which i had but let me give u an example may be that works..like toic is recycling...so u can start by introducing at what scale is recycling being done around the world or why is it important...

Reaction score
Are there really rooms for robots in our lives?
-------------------------------------------------------
Humans have always invented new technology to make their lives easier and simpler. The breakthrough of robots has significantly altered our life and nowadays countries are introducing these intelligent machines in various fields.

One of the main arguments in favour of robots is that there is a little room for error when a task is accomplished by a machine. In the future, they could help doctors to perform complicated operations and thus save millions of lives. Even today, robots are extensively used in surgeries and in mega factories. Industries claim that robots don’t get tired and perform efficiently, resulting in increased productivity with lower costs.

However, critics fiercely argue that robots could make employees redundant as all their jobs in future would be taken over by the machines. They further state that it is too expensive to afford robots and they make us lazy. Thus, we unknowingly put our health at risk.

In conclusion, I feel that robots could bring some development to our city if the government introduces them in our industries, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of the employees who are barely able to make ends meet with their income. (194 words)

Reaction score
The above article is written by me. I wrote it as a model answer for my students (sitting for exam on 19th Oct 2010)
I hope you've got the idea now, let me know if you need further help.

Here is some stuff for Letter Writing.

Effective openings for Advice informal letters (REMEMBER, THESE ARE FOR ADVICE LETTERS)

1) Dear Kate,
It was great to hear from you. I miss you here – you are such a lovely person close to the heart. Thanks for the letter.

2)Dear Bella,
It was great to hear from you. However, knowing that you are at your wits’ end, made me really sad.

3) Dear Cruse,
I was sorry to hear you’re not enjoying your new college life as much as you deserve to.

4) Dear Hugo,
You might want to know why I couldn’t reply you quickly. Actually, I was up to my neck with my exams.

5) Dear Robert,
I was really depressed to hear you’re considering dropping out of school and looking for a full-time job.

6) Dear Virasha,
I was really concerned to know you’re going through a hard time to organise yourself and do the homework on time.

7)Dear Maik,
Thanks for your letter which I got this morning. It’s always good to hear from you.

****************************************************************************************************************
Effective closings/ENDINGS for Advice informal letters

1) I will definitely keep in touch with you and I would love to hear that your problems are solved out.
Love,
Karan

2) I hope my tips will really help you to get rid of your problems and bring a smile to your lips.
All the best,
John

3) Please write to me telling me that you have resolved your worrying problem.
Best wishes,
Steff

4) I would be glad to hear that your problems are wiped off and you are living a happy life.
With regards,
Eliza

5) Always keep in touch and don’t forget to drop me a line soon. I know by the time we meet, you would be much more confident.
Good luck,
Tom

(ALL THE BEST DEAR, HOPE YOU WILL GET A GOOD RESULT)

Fsams

Reaction score
thanks alot fsams. it really did help. my teacher says that there should be more usage of complex sentences, which is out of my reach.
what should i do?

Reaction score
Not really my dear, you don't have to use too much complex structures to get a good result. However, it is good to use one or two idioms in your
writing, but not too many.

The best articles are simple, and answers to the question. Of course, it is good to be ambitious in your choice of vocabulary. One or two mistakes in your writing is not going to highly affect your marks if the error was due to attempting to use more matured and difficult vocabulary.

All the best,
Fsams