• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

GCE CIE O' Level exam recheck- so grades imrpove?

Reaction score
Hello people! I allpeard from O levels this May/June 2011 session and got a few B's and most A's . I want to get the B's rechecked but I want to know how has everyone's experience with rechecks been? did your grade improve after recheck? do you know someone whose grade changed after recheck? what was it before recheck and what did it become after recheck??

if you know, then please do tell me, along with the grade change, tht which subject did you/ someone you know got rechecked? and which type of recheck was it ?

Also, PLEASE do tell if you know how long did it take to get the rechecked result after sending the form? and if you appeared through school, then do you have to send it through your school?

if I do not get A's after recheck, then I'll reappear. the last date for registration for reappearing for the Oct/ Nov session is 15th September. do you think I will get my rechecked grades before that? how long does it usually take, to get the rechecked grades back?

PLEASE HELP ME!! I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE IF YOU DO!!! thanks!

PLEASE DO reply and help me!

please reply ASAP.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Hey!
'B' is a good grade really. If you think it's not, then re-take is a better option.
To quote a member here, "his school referred 45 cases of B and only 3 were successful at getting an A." So you see chances are there, but very rare.
You should talk to your school administration for the dates et cetera.

Reaction score
nibz is absolutely right..................chances are really rare.............because u know the uk system is a very reliable system............and their checking is much accurate........... :)
I know we candidates have doubts from these british examiners.......sometimes i also have doubt on them after taking a look at the mark schemes.........but thats the facts i guess.

Reaction score
My sir told me that our papers are checked six times by different examiners so there are very low chances of grades getting increased. I also got one B and that too in the subject which i worked most hard at and spend all of my time on that. :(
Still Allah may have planned something better for our B grades and it will surely be of our interest !! :)

Reaction score
I think you should simply re-appear if you really desire to get an A instead of the B. Re-checking is seldom successful, it did work in the case of a close friend of mine, though. But it's all about luck in the end. It usually takes about 3 weeks for the result of the rechecking to return, and so I don't think it will come before the registeration deadline of October/November.

Reaction score
GCE CIE O' Level exam recheck (Queries)- so grades imrpove?

Hi everyone.I appeared for the O levels exam in May/June 2011. I have got 2 Bs and 6 As. To be very honest I am very confused and can not make a decision without some advice. I got Bs in Biology and English Language and the marks are
Biology - 77
English Language-71
I want to send these for recheck but I am really confused. Here are some queries that I have and I will really appreciate if someone gives me some advice.
I want to send Biology and Eng Language for recheck.
Question :
1)If u were in my position will U send Biology and English Language for a recheck?
2)Is there any fear that my marks will be downgraded rather than upgraded?
3)This is for English Language only
I think and believe that I should have received a better grade than I have now.
As I have got 71 in Language I am afraid whether the recheck people will downgrade it? And give me a C in language as it is close to the border line.

I am really confused and greatly in need of some advice as soon as possible.Please do reply and help me. I you have any other advice regarding rechecking please do post it here and help me. I will really appreciate your help.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Oninda001 =)) First of all, B isn't a bad grade. As for English, "C-grade or higher" in O-level/IGCSE can get you admission in a good university.

1) Biology - Yes. English - No
2) Yes. It's written clearly in the Rechecking form that "Marks can be increased/decreased.

Reaction score
Oninda001, HOW on earth do u know your percentages/ percentile? they werent mentioned ont he ceritificates of the statement of reuslts or the provisional results :(

I wana know mine

plaease help me!!

thanks

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
I guess, percentages were not mentioned for Pakistanis only; Oninda001 is from Bangladesh!

Reaction score
hey even in edexcel igcse they didn't mention the marks.............And thats quite doubtful :(

Reaction score
reappear is better option rather than recheck..............cuz as said earlier ....there is much less chance of ur grades getting improved through rechecking.....
although chances still are present but very less...........student in a school got 90 % from 86 % in islamiat by sending for rechecking ... i think in 2010 sessions.......but keep in mind almost 25-30 students applied for recheck but his grades only improved......... that is 1 OUT OF 30 !!!!!

rest is ur own opinion. :)

Reaction score
Percentile was not mentioned for us too. But 2students from our school scored 100 out of 110 in English language so our teachers told us that the 90 and above will be an A* 80 and above an A and 70 and above B
so this is the case.By the way thnx to Nibz and others for ur help.I really appreciated ur reply.Best of Luck to all of u for the coming years. =D

Reaction score
Well in Isalamite i looked at my componoent results. So the paper 2 which was hard and had aa new question had an A but the othe wich i though i aced got d what should i do should i recheck .. Cuz now in islamite i got B (D+A)

Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
reappear is better option rather than recheck..............cuz as said earlier ....there is much less chance of ur grades getting improved through rechecking.....
although chances still are present but very less...........student in a school got 90 % from 86 % in islamiat by sending for rechecking ... i think in 2010 sessions.......but keep in mind almost 25-30 students applied for recheck but his grades only improved......... that is 1 OUT OF 30 !!!!!

rest is ur own opinion. :)
Yeah i guess silenthunter is right.....................in fact he is perfectly right.......................because rechecking is something very much risky................and it is also heard from the XPF people that chances for the grades to be increased are rare...........so better go for resitting..............because resitting depends on ur hard work...........not luck.....which is in rechecking............I mean rechecking depends on "how much ur good luck is"................if u worked harder u will get higher grades than before ones.
SO THE BEST OPTION IS RESITTING!!

Reaction score
hero9595 said:
Well in Isalamite i looked at my componoent results. So the paper 2 which was hard and had aa new question had an A but the othe wich i though i aced got d what should i do should i recheck .. Cuz now in islamite i got B (D+A)

That's exactly the same as mine :(

Reaction score
Please somebody help me. I got B in Physics, Biology and Urdu first language. Component grades for physics are A, B & C. For Biology component grades are B, A, C and for urdu i got B, A. Should i go for recheck and which components. Is that going to improve my grade. Since I am in Pakistan, hence no percentages are available.

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just sat for O level exams in maurititus and worked very hard for it... Was expecting at least 4 A*
But i got 6A..
Sending them back for a re correction... Please, are there any chances for me to get at least 2 A* ? Because i indeed really believe tht there is a mistake somewhere... All my teachers agreed tht there is something weird becoz they know my capacity.. I got A in Chemistry Biology Physics Hindi Additional Maths and Maths... Please reply guys, badly need ur advice and suggestions and ideas... :(:cry:

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just sat for O level exams in maurititus and worked very hard for it... Was expecting at least 4 A*
But i got 6A..
Sending them back for a re correction... Please, are there any chances for me to get at least 2 A* ? Because i indeed really believe tht there is a mistake somewhere... All my teachers agreed tht there is something weird becoz they know my capacity.. I got A in Chemistry Biology Physics Hindi Additional Maths and Maths... Please reply guys, badly need ur advice and suggestions and ideas... :(:cry:

CIE is an international examination board. They don't make mistakes.
The papers get checked by 6 different examiners, and they are very meticulous in checking and counting marks.
Even if they did make a mistake, it could have been in one subject, not in all 6.
Many people get the grade below their expectations, because they think that they had a great paper, but we can not know which answer was correct or not. The marking scheme has different interpretations, and half the time we think we are right, the examiners consider our answer wrong.

I know a lot of people who were expecting A*'s and even ended up with B's. So this is normal.

But if you are sure you had an A* paper, go ahead and recheck all 6. There might be a chance you do actually get 2 A*'s but it's very unlikely.

Reaction score
The papers get checked by 6 different examiners, and they are very meticulous in checking and counting marks.
Even if they did make a mistake, it could have been in one subject, not in all 6.
Many people get the grade below their expectations, because they think that they had a great paper, but we can not know which answer was correct or not. The marking scheme has different interpretations, and half the time we think we are right, the examiners consider our answer wrong.

I know a lot of people who were expecting A*'s and even ended up with B's. So this is normal.

But if you are sure you had an A* paper, go ahead and recheck all 6. There might be a chance you do actually get 2 A*'s but it's very unlikely.

CIE is an international examination board and that doesn't means that they don't make mistakes.If they are so perfect then why the hell they have given the option of (EAR) rechecks for the candidates. THEY DO MAKE MISTAKES AND BLUNDERS..and ik alot of such cases ..

Secondly,the papers are not being checked by SIX examiners so dont quote wrong facts and figures to deviate the ppl from reality.

Hey guys,
But i got 6A..

Bro , you should wait for the component results , MS and GT's ...after checking MS if u think that you had given the answers according to that then u can think to go for it ..
P.s Component grades matters alot ...If u believe that there's something wrong with the components and those grades are not up to ur expectations then definitely the chances of being improved are higher.

Lastly I'll suggest you to go for the rechecks for MATHS and ADDITION MATHS if u believe that u were deserving A*'s.

Reaction score

thanks for ur advice
CIE is an international examination board and that doesn't means that they don't make mistakes.If they are so perfect then why the hell they have given the option of (EAR) rechecks for the candidates. THEY DO MAKE MISTAKES AND BLUNDERS..and ik alot of such cases ..

Secondly,the papers are not being checked by SIX examiners so dont quote wrong facts and figures to deviate the ppl from reality.

Bro , you should wait for the component results , MS and GT's ...after checking MS if u think that you had given the answers according to that then u can think to go for it ..
P.s Component grades matters alot ...If u believe that there's something wrong with the components and those grades are not up to ur expectations then definitely the chances of being improved are higher.

Lastly I'll suggest you to go for the rechecks for MATHS and ADDITION MATHS if u believe that u were deserving A*'s.
thanks a lot guys :)