• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Going to computer science field without any background for it

Reaction score
I'm taking Business Studies, Economics and Accounting in Alevels and had taken Sociology, Business Studies, Economics, Environmental Management and the compulsory subjects (Maths, English, Urdu, Pakistan Studies, and Islamiat) in Olevels. I just wanted to ask if i can switch to Computer Science now even if I don't have any background.
And if I can switch to Computer Science please tell a good uni in Karachi for it and if IBA is best for it.
Thank You!

Reaction score
I'm taking Business Studies, Economics and Accounting in Alevels and had taken Sociology, Business Studies, Economics, Environmental Management and the compulsory subjects (Maths, English, Urdu, Pakistan Studies, and Islamiat) in Olevels. I just wanted to ask if i can switch to Computer Science now even if I don't have any background.
And if I can switch to Computer Science please tell a good uni in Karachi for it and if IBA is best for it.
Thank You!
You need Maths and physics to actually learn computer science.
You may do without Maths and physics but you wont be able to understand much in computer science
I myself did Accounting,Economics and computing for Als and am suffering badly doing computer science since you need to learn calculus,stastics to do great in the field(Artificial Intelligence required maths)
You can try Business IT,Management Information System /Information System,Applied IT/Computer applications
The above mentioned degrees are for people who did Commerce Stream and want to do reated to IT.
Another option you can take is take one year and do maths,physics,computer science ALs.
another option is doing some online course on programming (coursera for example) and try to check if you would survive doing it.

Reaction score
Aathif pretty much covered everything. I would suggest you NOT to opt for Computer Science given your business background. Also can you tell me why do you want to shift to CS all of a sudden?
You must study A level maths for CS otherwise it's going to be pretty tough for you to cover calculus, statistics, differential equations, multivariate calculus etc. CS is not only programming but it heavily relies on Physics and Maths too. I won't suggest you to go for CS unless you can learn the basic maths concepts online.
Even Physics and AICT/Computing are not important to study CS at undergrad level but Maths is extremely important otherwise you'll be having a really hard time with algorithms and mathematics related subjects. It's better you tap into fields like Databases, Business IT etc. CS is pretty hard and I am telling that from my experience of 5 semesters (currently in 6th).

Reaction score
Thank You!
i have also done Bachelors in computer science and i feel there is not much need of background in cs

Reaction score
hey man, id suggest that u should go for it. If u have an interest in it I think id be a shame to let that go. But even if you do not study CS in your academic career, most of the top tech companies do not require CS degrees, in fact, they do not require degrees at all...

if you don't end up taking CS as a subject, you should practice it at home along with math and I think you'll have a great time. Like everyone mentioned, you do need 1 science and a math background for studying CS. And FAST university in Islamabad is probably the best uni for computing and or engineering.