• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Grading system for cie o level october/november 2010

Reaction score
I have heard several times in this forum that the cie examiners are using some kind of marking or grading system, which is quite tough and that is why people are getting less marks than they expected. Is that really true?

Thanks there!!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Zohaib Sherazi said:
Many people have been asking about the new grade policy. In fact this is the most frequent qst that i'm coming across. I replied many pm's too but here is an example for those who still have confusions after reading my earlier topic on the new grade policy.

Assume there are 2 papers of subject X. P1 has 40 marks. And p2 has 60 marks. If in July CIE sets the minimum number of marks required for an A in p1 as 32/40 and for a B as 29/40. Likewise it sets A at 52/60 in P2 and B as 48/60 in P2. So, you need a minimum of this to achieve the required grade in each paper. Now, CIE will total your number of marks. One thing is for sure the minimum required to get A* will be set as many marks above the sum of the Grade A minimum as the grade B is below it. In this example:

for B: 29 + 48 = 77/100

FOR "A" 32 + 52 = 84/100.

Now CIE will subtract the minimum for a B from A.

Hence, 84-77 = 7 marks.

These will be added to the sum of A grade marks i.e. 84 + 7 = 91 marks. Therefore, 91/100 will be the minimum for an A*.

So, you can see it is not necessary to get a minimum in each paper. If you got say 31/40 in P1 it'll be given grade B according to our assumptions above. And if you got 60/60 in P2 you'll get an A in p2. But the total will be 31 + 60 = 91 marks. Hence, you've achieved the minimum for A* .

The minimum for A* that is 91/100 in our example will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 90%.

The minimum for A in our example 84 will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 80% .

Thats how it will work.

Hope this works!

Reaction score
But this is a very complicated process. And I don't think so that cie guys follow this system . May be they do but thats my opinion. One more question i want to ask you guys is that can this be possible that 80% can become a D???

Thanks for your responses!!!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, come on :| For goodness' sake!!
That's outright impossible.

Reaction score
yeah i know that silentsea. you are absolutely right. well i was also surprised when i came to know that the grading system has changed. I mean A is nOWWWWWWW 80%%%%%...Oh my goodness its too easy to get the A grade then. but i guess this change of grading system shows that the paper will now become more difficult. I guess ;) :) :D

Reaction score
DAMN ITS SO SO FREAKIN HARD NOW
It was so easy to get A at first... but now it seems as if we have to die to fet an A -_____-

Reaction score
C'mon it is not !! percentile system is there so no one can tell what grade will be A*, A or B

Reaction score
Oh okay well guys i am not sure about your cie system because i now follow edexcel system. If you are still finding this confusing. So just leave it................just try your best to get percentage in 90s. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I think that might be better. ;) :p

Reaction score
Shahroz95 said:
Assalamoalaikum.
Check out the link bellow:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/pakistan- ... otice6.pdf

It'll give you the Percentages required for the Grades. The A Star System introduced earlier in 2009 has been revised and it was implemented from the October/November 2010 session.

Please leave your comments.

(P.S. Comment on the IBCC also, thank you)

Check the link above. It will give you the CIE's newest grading policy. (It looks as if those people change their policies every month.)

Reaction score
Yeah you are right shahroz.......................these guys are terrible...................they make too much changes........................yeah i agree with the fact that somehow changes are beneficial too.................but on the other hand they gradually become disadvantageous as well. So that is what they must be considering...........................i believe. :)

Reaction score
shahlakh said:
But this is a very complicated process. And I don't think so that cie guys follow this system . May be they do but thats my opinion. One more question i want to ask you guys is that can this be possible that 80% can become a D???

Thanks for your responses!!!

I have the same opinion,I don't think CIE follows such a complicated grading system,it must be something easier lol,I agree with you shalakh

Reaction score
Give ur 100%,probably 95% AND dont worry about these grading system.If u deserve an A then definitely its yours :D

Reaction score
EVERY WILL GET WHAT THEY WISH FOR AFTER PUTTING ALOT OF EFFORT IN IT !!!
AND DONT FORGET TO PRAY (ONLY GOD CAN HELP U) !!!!
:D

Reaction score
Thanks saud aslam and others fro showing such a corporation...............I really appreciate your guys help....................they really work for me. :) :D
And yeah haochen you are right................GOD IS THE BEST HELPER. :)
DUDES I WOULD SAY THIS AGAIN>................................YOU GUYS ROCK!!!