• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Have some important Questions

Reaction score
Hello XP,

I have a few questions for my brother.

He is a Business Student, he have completed O Levels, gave a total of 7 Papers (one separately - of Mathematics 'D'), in second year of O Levels he attempted a total of 4, in which he gave maths separate and Business Studies, Economics with English Language.
He didn't really received some good grades, he got C, D, D.

In maths, as he is really weak in it, he got a U (but to be honest he did not studied for it at all, he just studied for only 1 month before attempting the paper and not studied the whole year), and his base is also not that strong either, for him he should have at least given 6 months to Maths preparation to get a B or C in my opinion. Anyways, as he gave Mathematics separate as a Private Candidate he can just not even show that he ever attempted to give Maths where applicable and appropriate.

Now, I have a few questions to ask.

1) He is giving Business Studies, Economics and Computing in AS Level, I want to know that once he is done with those, what will he need to give in A2 in place for Computing ? Or he just don't need to give anything in place for that ? Considering that there is no "Computing" subject available to attempt in A2, will Computing be considered as a single subject given for whole A Levels, like when we make the "A-Levels result", it will say Business, Economics, Computing ?

As far as I know, A2 Level Grades are awarded on "Carried Forward Marks from AS Level papers we attempted" and can only register for A2 if we gave the same exams/subjects in AS Level in order to produce ONE "A-Levels" result.

2) He is interested in doing Bachelors in Computer Science, so is it possible for him in any way to get Admission in a 4 year Program for CS at any average University ? As he have not been good in Maths, and not attempted Maths in A Levels ?

3) Giving Computing in AS Level, will that help in any way to get Admission / increase any chances for admission in Computer Science or any other related field ?

Please guide me what should I do for him on these situations.... He is giving AS Level in Oct/Nov 2012 session and A2 Level in May/June 2013, so he will be looking for admissions by August 2013. Even BBA needs Mathematics....

Any solutions / guidance to what to do and what will be appropriate will be appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.

Reaction score
Hello XP,

I have a few questions for my brother.

He is a Business Student, he have completed O Levels, gave a total of 7 Papers (one separately - of Mathematics 'D'), in second year of O Levels he attempted a total of 4, in which he gave maths separate and Business Studies, Economics with English Language.
He didn't really received some good grades, he got C, D, D.

In maths, as he is really weak in it, he got a U (but to be honest he did not studied for it at all, he just studied for only 1 month before attempting the paper and not studied the whole year), and his base is also not that strong either, for him he should have at least given 6 months to Maths preparation to get a B or C in my opinion. Anyways, as he gave Mathematics separate as a Private Candidate he can just not even show that he ever attempted to give Maths where applicable and appropriate.

Now, I have a few questions to ask.

1) He is giving Business Studies, Economics and Computing in AS Level, I want to know that once he is done with those, what will he need to give in A2 in place for Computing ? Or he just don't need to give anything in place for that ? Considering that there is no "Computing" subject available to attempt in A2, will Computing be considered as a single subject given for whole A Levels, like when we make the "A-Levels result", it will say Business, Economics, Computing ?

As far as I know, A2 Level Grades are awarded on "Carried Forward Marks from AS Level papers we attempted" and can only register for A2 if we gave the same exams/subjects in AS Level in order to produce ONE "A-Levels" result.

2) He is interested in doing Bachelors in Computer Science, so is it possible for him in any way to get Admission in a 4 year Program for CS at any average University ? As he have not been good in Maths, and not attempted Maths in A Levels ?

3) Giving Computing in AS Level, will that help in any way to get Admission / increase any chances for admission in Computer Science or any other related field ?

Please guide me what should I do for him on these situations.... He is giving AS Level in Oct/Nov 2012 session and A2 Level in May/June 2013, so he will be looking for admissions by August 2013. Even BBA needs Mathematics....

Any solutions / guidance to what to do and what will be appropriate will be appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.

Don't know how to answer Q1 since I'm not doing A-Levels.
Q2. A lot of universities don't require any prior experiences with the subject itself. Some of them require specific subjects to be taken, e.g. one of: math, computing/physics, etc. It all depends on which specific university he's looking to apply to. There are also some which don't require one to take any specific subject prior but might require good grades (specified by the respective university) in the subjects one is already taking. I advise him to look at potential universities he might apply to and check their subject/high school requirements e.g. subjects required for CS and grades for those subjects, if either are available/required by the university.

Q3. Computing in AS will be considered by the university as the candidate having prior experience in CS, which might help but also might be ineffective. For example, if he got a B in Computing AS while another candidate got an A in Physics, the university could take the other candidate instead, even though he didn't do Computing. That also depends on the specific university itself and how it assesses applicants. You should keep in mind that taking a specific subject doesn't solely influence the likelihood of getting accepted as it typically depends on a lot of factors, again, all based on the specific university which you need to check on.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the valuable information aalmuhannadi !

Well I am still looking for an answer to my first Question now, as that is the most important one left I believe... ^-^

Thank you.