• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

help me english literature students.

Reaction score
i need a help from English literature students. I'm going to appear in English literature,this May/june 2012.Tell me how should I prepare? I have read all the poems from 96 to 109 from part 3 and two dramas, 'Death of a Salesman and Much Ado About Nothing'.
and currently, i'm reading julius ceaser, one more is left. I have asked everywhere in lahore for the play,' Journey's End' but couldn't find it. Can anyone tell me from where should I get it?
Moreover, I want to know, am I supposed to write very difficult english in order to get A?
I really need a sincere help.

Reaction score
even i am going to give my literature exam this year but i selected one drama julius caesar ....one prose wuthering heights...and the poems from 96 to 109.
why are you doing all the dramas. there is no need. u can focus on two properly and attempt their questions and do the other two questions from poetry as u have not selected any prose.
anyhow there is no need to use difficult english.
also do you know the proper poetry format.
you cant write biographical details or else your marks will be deducted.
u have to explain the main and minor themes not paraphrase the poem. u have to explain the structure of the poem.the tone, the mood,the similies,the metaphors,fault imagery and your own opinion about the poem, the poets choice of words and any shortcoming if the poem have any.if you do this properly then you are bound to get good grade in poetry. the questions may seem puzzling but in the end u have to critically analyse the poem in this manner.
the questions u choose in the paper must be from two sections.
As for drama just read them properly again and again and focus more on important events for example in julius caesar mark antony's speech is very important etc.
Also make sure u understand the characters properly because many questions come in which are given a situation and u have to think as a character and write his or her thoughts eg . in my mock a question came that u are portia ,brutus's wife, and you are about to commit suicide. write our thoughts.
i hope this helps nd pray for me.

Reaction score
MuchADO ABOUT NOTHING I have Booklets of All 5 acts and It contain Full translation of Old English along with modern english.. and It also contains Summary of every Scene.. So if Ur Interested to Buy cux i have finish This year and it is of no use for me . Reply me. Only for people living in Karachi :)

Reaction score
even i am going to give my literature exam this year but i selected one drama julius caesar ....one prose wuthering heights...and the poems from 96 to 109.
why are you doing all the dramas. there is no need. u can focus on two properly and attempt their questions and do the other two questions from poetry as u have not selected any prose.
u have to explain the main and minor themes not paraphrase the poem. u have to explain the structure of the poem.the tone, the mood,the similies,the metaphors,fault imagery and your own opinion about the poem, the poets choice of words and any shortcoming if the poem have any.if you do this properly then you are bound to get good grade in poetry. the questions may seem puzzling but in the end u have to critically analyse the poem in this manner.
As for drama just read them properly again and again and focus more on important events for example in julius caesar mark antony's speech is very important etc.
Also make sure u understand the characters properly because many questions come in which are given a situation and u have to think as a character and write his or her thoughts eg . in my mock a question came that u are portia ,brutus's wife, and you are about to commit suicide. write our thoughts.
hi, im appearing this may june too and i have julius caesar and wuthering heights as well.
im really scared, how do we get an A? :(

Reaction score
yeah it helped me thanks a lot. but i'm not sure about the lengths of my answers and answer techniques,i mean how long the answer should be? i'm studying everything myself and i'm not sure about my answers which i've practised from the pastpapers. can you give me any sample so that i may have an idea in which band my answer lies? i really need a help bro :((

Reaction score
I'm giving to much ado bat nothing gatsby and ten stories our teacher just saysreadand gives us bad marks the more read the better it s and English shuld be ok not imp to write hard words just read that's what im doing lol

Reaction score
I write Aabout two pages it's doesn't really matter how much u write but what u

Reaction score
i'm doing the poetry section from songs of ourselves. when we quote a line from the text are we supposed to highlight it or just use inverted commas to indicate we have quoted it from the text? two pages of writing will be enough for getting marks of higher band?

Reaction score
can anybody provide me any sample answer for poems or question from drama section? i really need guidance in this.

Reaction score
This is an answer which I wrote in the mock our Literature sir gave us. It was a text-based question on the 'First Love' poem.
Qs. Explore how Clare dramatically portrays his emotional experience of first love.
Ans.
'First Love' is a poem which allows the reader to understand and relate to what love feels like when one is 'struck' by it. The narrator is describing the three stages of how he felt when his 'life and all seemed turned to clay'. It focuses on the encounter, the physical effects and than the mental breakdown.
The poem begins with Clare being hit with 'love so sudden and so sweet. This creates the image of cupid's arrow hitting the heart of the narrator and from this point on he cannot think of anything but his 'sweet flower'. The fact that the poem relies heavily on enjambment helps in creating a fast tempo which is symbolic of how Clares heart is beating faster as he focuses upon the the woman which has 'stole his heart away complete'.
Clare focuses upon how all the senses of the narrator are affected by this chance encounter. The woman he sees has taken away his eyesight 'quite away' and he could not say a single word. This highlights that love is something powerful and is like an intangible force which controls us. The fact he presents the trees and buses around him to be 'midnight at noon day' shows that he the beauty of the nature around him is nothing in comparison to the beauty of the woman he sees.
The last stanza of this poem sheds light on the desperation of Clare to have his first love. He starts to question his 'sweet flower' and wonders why she has given him a cold shoulder. He questions whether true love can really exist. Due to this, his 'heart has left its dwelling place And can return no more'. This shows how peace he enjoyed before has evaded him and he will live the rest of his life thinking about the 'sweetest face' he had ever seen.
The poem is majestic in its presentation of love, not only what it feels like but also how it feels when it is not returned. His initial sense of hope is juxtaposed with the misery at the end of the poem and this makes it feel that this is not just a poem but an authentic life story.

Basically I scored 17/25 in this answer, but it is showing you the type of language that it is expected to be used and the type of points to focus upon, hope I helped.

Reaction score
Now see my answer of the poem which came in may/june 2011. Its about the poem, ''Full moon and little Frieda''.
Q- Explore how Huge convey the delight of this moment.

The poet, huge, has described the moment of his perturbed state of mind regarding the growing up of his daughter who is a little innocent kid. At first, he conveys to us the silence of the atmosphere by closing linking it to,' Dog bark', which is the only sound heard in the silence and blackness of the night. He then moves on describing a time which is about to come, and for which everything is anticipating for.The words, ''spider's web'', conveys an intricated picture of life which his daughter is going to see as the words, 'tense for the dew's touch', vividly portrays the idea of anticipation for a future incident going to happen. ''Still and brimming'', describes the same thing; a place where a little touch is just needed to bring something,something unusual. The tense state of things conveys that they await something.On going deeper, we realize that huge is thinking about her daughter's future which is going to be as difficult as a,' spider's web'.
'To tempt a first star to a tremour', further gives the idea of hugh's frustration that this world is a temptation and gives hard blows to the new stars; referring his daughter as a star. The world, which looks so attractive apparently has deep-seated angers which hit innocent people like a tremour.The third stanza describes a daily routine of life,''cows are going home in the lane there,looping their hedges with their warmth wreaths of breaths'', portraying the image of a normal routine in a village but hughe's purpose behind this may be that although there is temptation and difficulties in life, yet still nature and simplicity exists. ''A dark river of blood'', simply displays the dark side of life where sincerity, truth and faithfulness have no place. Hughe coveys his idea of remaining cautious throughout our lives is described as, ''balancing unspilled milk''. Huge knows that it is difficult to survive in such a clever world, therefore those who balance themselves are those who escape from this harsh world.
In the last stanza, huge reduces the tension,which he had created in the second and third stanza and conveys the innocence of his daughter who cries out, ''Moon!'' on watching the moon. huge use a lot of sign of exclamations to expilcitly convey the surprise and delight in his daughter's voice.Her innocence even males the moon, amazed.

How many marks can i obtain out of 25 for this answer?

Reaction score
The thing is u have not really even considered the question in your answer. The question is about 'delight' . You have to link your ideas to the question, not just put all your ideas it.

Reaction score
okay i'll make another attempt. i also want to to post my answers of the text based questions of drama section. i have read death of the salesman and much ado about nothing. have you read them?

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'll appear for O level Eng lit Exam this Oct/Nov and I wanted to know that if we choose a certain question on a set text so are we supposed to attempt all three parts? Your help will be much appreciated. :)