• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HELP NEEDED FOR GEOGRAPHY

Reaction score
I've been looking through the syllabus to see what I'm supposed to know for the exam and stuff and I noticed that we're not really required to know every single thing. However, I'm still confused because I might have miscomprehended what was written. Can someone please help me...

Reaction score
I havent looked at the syllabus, just done lots of past papers, but for paper 1 at least you do need to know a very large range of case studies. I would say you should be fine if you know one from each topic in the book, and try to remember some figures and specific facts if you are looking to get 7 out of 7s haha (y) If you are okay with like 5s then i find you can usually just make stuff up :D

Reaction score
I havent looked at the syllabus, just done lots of past papers, but for paper 1 at least you do need to know a very large range of case studies. I would say you should be fine if you know one from each topic in the book, and try to remember some figures and specific facts if you are looking to get 7 out of 7s haha (y) If you are okay with like 5s then i find you can usually just make stuff up :D
Thank you! :) But what about the chapters? 'Cause I constantly feel like the textbook lengthens my time studying a chapter. Do you know a good website with summaries? I found many, but there's always stuff missing ^^"

Reaction score
I will also be sitting the Geography papers this session. Could you please share the helpful summaries and websites you have found?

Reaction score
Sorry i dont know any good websites that i feel cover everything well. I did make my own notes for each chapter which highlight all the main points, unfortunately they are hand written :p But for my revision i think ill type them out again so once i do i can upload them here (in the next few days) :) btw these notes are just for paper 1, i feel that for paper two (this week omg!) and four its best just to do past papers and stuff :)

Reaction score
Sorry i dont know any good websites that i feel cover everything well. I did make my own notes for each chapter which highlight all the main points, unfortunately they are hand written :p But for my revision i think ill type them out again so once i do i can upload them here (in the next few days) :) btw these notes are just for paper 1, i feel that for paper two (this week omg!) and four its best just to do past papers and stuff :)
Yes, friday! and I'm already panicking xD

Reaction score
is this geography or EM
????

Reaction score
Does Anyone Else Have It With ICT Theory?! I'm Gonna Go Through Hell!

Paper 2:

Paper 2 is The Easiest Of All Papers. It Requires Skills such as knowing how to plot graphs, read maps, draw cross sections, plot employment structure points and interpret correlation between things on graphs for ex.

I suggest you have a general idea of how the symbols on the ordanance map look like so it saves up time. BTW There Is A Book Called Map Skills Geography For IGCSE. It is by Nelson Thornes And Is Really Good. If You Have Time Check Your Local Bookstore For It.

Go Through The Book Once several days before the exam because the questions could be about anything. G

Go to bed EARLY. My teacher told me to do this because if you sleep late you won't be able to concentrate.

Don't Spend Too Much Time Revising, Go Through Past Papers To Get A Solid Idea of how the questions are structured!

i Suggest That You Finish All The Questions Proceeding The 1st Map question, as it takes alot of time to find the things on the map.

Here is a site for tips for paper 2: http://greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com/IGCSE and GCSE Geography Skills (Paper 2) and http://greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com/IGCSE Geography Paper 2

Paper 1:

Paper 1 Is where you can choose themes that you are strongest in, which is great.

In The Syllabus They say that 2 questions are asked on each of the three themes , so 6 questions in all. You ONLY CHOOSE 3!! Dont waste your Time trying to solve them all, you wont do it properly, it is impossible to do it anyway.

Learn Some Good Case Studies and remember to include place specific information in part (c) of every question, try to discriminate it from general data like giving names of places and countries. This Is If You Want to get 7 marks out of 7. Most of the other questions require theory as well as thinking skills. So Dont Only Depend On the book. Geography is a lively course so it doesnt mean that you only write whats on the book in the exam. the examiners test your theory as well as your ability to analyse situations.

Paper 4:

Paper 4 is more of an analytical and thinking paper rather than theory. all of the information on the coursework the imaginary students do are given to you and hence all you need to do is extract them as well as use your mind to suggest hypothesis and data collection methods.
Here is a site for tips for paper 4: https://sites.google.com/site/igcsegeographynow/exam-time/paper-4

Here Are Some Examiners Tips: http://witherswikigeog.wikispaces.com/file/view/Examiner tips geography S04_2.pdf

Good Luck Everyone.

These Are Just Spme Tips That May/May Not Be What You Are Looking For. I tried my best anyway.

Remember Me In Your Prayers. Repeat After Me: Insha Allah We Will All Get A*. Ameen

:)

Reaction score
Does Anyone Else Have It With ICT Theory?! I'm Gonna Go Through Hell!

Paper 2:

Paper 2 is The Easiest Of All Papers. It Requires Skills such as knowing how to plot graphs, read maps, draw cross sections, plot employment structure points and interpret correlation between things on graphs for ex.

I suggest you have a general idea of how the symbols on the ordanance map look like so it saves up time. BTW There Is A Book Called Map Skills Geography For IGCSE. It is by Nelson Thornes And Is Really Good. If You Have Time Check Your Local Bookstore For It.

Go Through The Book Once several days before the exam because the questions could be about anything. G

Go to bed EARLY. My teacher told me to do this because if you sleep late you won't be able to concentrate.

Don't Spend Too Much Time Revising, Go Through Past Papers To Get A Solid Idea of how the questions are structured!

i Suggest That You Finish All The Questions Proceeding The 1st Map question, as it takes alot of time to find the things on the map.

Here is a site for tips for paper 2: http://greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com/IGCSE and GCSE Geography Skills (Paper 2) and http://greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com/IGCSE Geography Paper 2

Paper 1:

Paper 1 Is where you can choose themes that you are strongest in, which is great.

In The Syllabus They say that 2 questions are asked on each of the three themes , so 6 questions in all. You ONLY CHOOSE 3!! Dont waste your Time trying to solve them all, you wont do it properly, it is impossible to do it anyway.

Learn Some Good Case Studies and remember to include place specific information in part (c) of every question, try to discriminate it from general data like giving names of places and countries. This Is If You Want to get 7 marks out of 7. Most of the other questions require theory as well as thinking skills. So Dont Only Depend On the book. Geography is a lively course so it doesnt mean that you only write whats on the book in the exam. the examiners test your theory as well as your ability to analyse situations.

Paper 4:

Paper 4 is more of an analytical and thinking paper rather than theory. all of the information on the coursework the imaginary students do are given to you and hence all you need to do is extract them as well as use your mind to suggest hypothesis and data collection methods.
Here is a site for tips for paper 4: https://sites.google.com/site/igcsegeographynow/exam-time/paper-4

Here Are Some Examiners Tips: http://witherswikigeog.wikispaces.com/file/view/Examiner tips geography S04_2.pdf

Good Luck Everyone.

These Are Just Spme Tips That May/May Not Be What You Are Looking For. I tried my best anyway.

Remember Me In Your Prayers. Repeat After Me: Insha Allah We Will All Get A*. Ameen

:)
I have it with ICT as well! Thanks for the info! And InshAllah we will all get good grades!

Reaction score
Is it true that in Paper 1, they'll get 2 questions from each theme? And if that was true, I was thinking of a way to study it:

Theme 1 has 2 topics -------> so I'll study 1

Theme 2 has 4 topics -----> so I'll study 3

Theme 3 has 5 topics -------> so I'll study 4

I've been thinking of this theory for a couple of days now and I've been wondering if it could work.

Reaction score
But you know you never know what can come. So its best to avoid maximum one theme. for example, in theme 3 they can ask the topic you avoided. so really, am not sure. but the best method is to avoid one theme you hate and focus on the other 2 themes

Reaction score
But you know you never know what can come. So its best to avoid maximum one theme. for example, in theme 3 they can ask the topic you avoided. so really, am not sure. but the best method is to avoid one theme you hate and focus on the other 2 themes
In theme 3 fr example, they have 5 topics. If I study 4 of those 5, in the exam they will get 2. Either they'll both be from the 4 I studied or 1 of them and the other is the one I avoided. Do you see where I'm getting here? ^^"

Reaction score
Oh, i see, you are going to attempt 1 question out of the three themes, and in total solve 3 questions each from one of the themes.

Reaction score
i am going for population and settlement as they always come up
then i am not sure
but not going for agriculture
and i prefer to leave coasts out
so preferably i will one of: tourism, industry, energy and water, plate tectonics, maybe rivers?
hopefully the questions will be easy! :)
good luck to alll!!! :)

Reaction score
Good luck to you too. Insha Allab we all do well. I really hope the questions are straight forward and we can finish it on time and still have time to revise :)