• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help needed in Bio

Reaction score
Mmmm.. Yaar can anyone (Q.1.)explain me how enzymes are used to make biological washing powders...

Q.2. how are fermenters used in the manufacture of antibiotic and enzymes???

Reaction score
Ans.1 i did not get it...

Ans.2 enzymes break things down so im guessing to help break dirt an things down
Different enzymes are used to digest different types of stains. For instance, lipases get rid of oily stains, cellulase to break down grass stains, and other enzymes to clear blood fro mclothes.
The main advantage of using enzymes in washing powders is environmental. Enzymes work at lower temperatures compared to synthetic substances (40oC compared to 60oC), so less energy is required to heat the water, so fewer carbon dioxide emissions result.
enzymes have things called proteases in them which break down proteins

Reaction score
@PRinceSS : no look....u explained me the role of enzymes but i'm askin that how are biological washing powders made which have enzymes to act on stains...!!!! n can u guide me through the second question??

Reaction score
FOR WASHING POWDERS-----the microorganisms(bacteria and fungi) are first loaded into sterile fermenter with feedstock(nutrients) and air(oxygen) at 26oC and pH5-6.
the microorganisms produce enzymes(protease/lipase/amylase) which can be extracted by 2 methods.
1)if they are extracellular ....they can be extracted by filteration
2)if intracellular.....they can be extracted by crushing then adding water and then filtering.

FOR ANTIBIOTICS-----same process but we only use fungi ((not bacteria))

i hope u got ur answer!! :)

Reaction score
actually the answer is pretty simple,↲↲for greasy stains (fats) washing powders contain the enzyme lipase which breaks down large insoluble molecules of fat into small, soluble ones (fatty acids and glycerol) which can be washed off with water.↲↲For blood stains, washing powders contain the enzyme protease which breaks down blood (originally made up of proteins) into amino acids which are colourless and soluble, thus removing stains.

Reaction score
and about the fermenter thing, i don't about enzymes but we took how its used to make penicillin (an antibiotic), would that help?