• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

help needed on phys paper O/N 2007

Reaction score
can anyone explain me question 6 b) part i) and ii)
i dont understand the mark scheme dont know where they got the values.
thanks in advance

Reaction score
@ paper 2 dude.... Can anyone please explain that y aren't the two WIRES connected in PARALLEL??? I did a similar mcq questions in which wires in CABLE were connected in parallel. Please do reply.

ur assistance is highly appreciated....

Reaction score
Here goes the answer...

potential difference across the copper wires = 230 - 225 = 5V (that is easily understood by the question as 225 is the max decrease in voltage across shower unit)
here take the whole cable not the two wires connected in series or parallel as they asked about the max resistance of the CABLE!!!

R = V/I = 5/46 = 0.11ohms.

now part (ii)

the two wires are not in parallel since current from the power supply doesn't divide b/w the two wires .....and that is quiet clear from the diagram. for calculating area of each wire either use half the cable resistance or twice the length, and twice the length since we r using combined resistance of the two wires.
R = $ L/A
....you get the answer...

Reaction score
1992 said:
can anyone explain me question 6 b) part i) and ii)
i dont understand the mark scheme dont know where they got the values.
thanks in advance

yar, part b)i) is quite simple... Total voltage generated by the shower was 230V....if max potential diff across the shower is 225V, this means that the max p.d across the cables is 230-225 Volts!!!!! That's ur v... U already have I, i.e. 46...... so, R= V/I :)

for part b) ii) the wires are not in parallel! That is because there are 2 outlets on each side of the shower.......... If there had been 1 outlet on one of the sides, the current would have split, but since there are equal outlets on each side, current does not need to be divided, so consider it series!!!!!! therefore, we take the length of wire as 16*2!!! Then, simply use the formula: R= resistivity *l/A

Hope, u understood!!!! :)

Reaction score
thanks guys. this question took me ages to understant, i think the question is not well explained :S

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can get the june 2010 papers for chemistry, physics and biology? When will they be posted on xtremepapers?