• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help please maths 9709/01+04

Reaction score
Assalama-o-Alaikum, I am in dire need of help for maths mechanics and pure mathematics 1 as i have gone through nearly all the past papers of both from 02-09 but still iam facing some problems. I have certain problems in work, power and energy as well as others like i dont get satisfied even after attempting the papers... :(
Can anyone of u plz give me tips and tricks on how to attempt the papers aiming for A* grade as well as briefly sum up all the formulas and basic concepts. :(

Reaction score
Summarizing the whole thing will be a very time consuming process. And time is what is short right now. Doing the paper once is not enough in maths if you aren't able to sort out your problems. If you're giving AS then you'll get a maximum A this year only. As AS does not have an A*. Use this link to do some quick revision of selected topics. And let me know of any specific qst in which you need help. http://www.s-cool.co.uk/alevel/maths.html

Reaction score
Thanks for replying and for the referred website but revision notes for work power and energy is not available on that website. Can u plz do me favour of like only revising the basic concepts of that topic. I am acquainted with the formulas like for kinetic energy, potential energy and power but using them together becomes problems sometimes and results in me having the severe tension .. :(
I will sure for sure come up with the past paper question as i again go through them...
Some tips on how to attempt the paper will also be appreciated..
Thanx

Reaction score
For the paper overall the first thing is to make sure that non-exact answers are given correct to 3 sig.figures and angles to 1 decimal place. In mechanics the most important thing is to visualize the situation. Make models and then solve the question. For energy, just remember that energy can never be created or destroyed. When an object is held at rest at a height it has maximum G potential energy but no K energy. Similarly a falling object has O G potential energy when it reaches the ground and maximum K potential energy as it hits it. In between there is always G potential energy as well as K potential energy present the sum of which will always equal the G potential energy at the top and the K potential energy at the bottom (assuming 0 resistance) but if the final energy is less then it means that some has been used to overcome resistance. So, you can get the work done against resistance by subtracting Initial - Final energy. These are the major concepts that Cambridge test's.

Reaction score
u can even go through some books like there's a good book with good explaination written by prof. dr nabeel
and if u have doubts in any specific question
ill help u for sure!

Reaction score
I got B in AS and im regving whole maths this year.. with m1 and s1.. i want to get an A* but it seems sumthing impossible to dream of.. cuz last year i gave a perfect paper for p1 but still i got a B grade...

For an A* i can only afford to loose 25 marks from all my papers if i am right? (sounds easy)

Reaction score
Can't say anything about that 15-20 i would say. Btw watch out for accuracy and showing complete working. To avoid losing unnecessary marks.

Reaction score
yeah u would need to go through several examner reports and mark schemes so that u can score A*
well my maths teacher predicted A* for me
i still want to work hard
u should do ur paper in such a way atleast u try u get as much u can
in simple words put ur soul in ur papers!