• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help with Pakistan Studies (Paper 1) question:

Reaction score
I need help with the following questions. I have already referred to the marking schemes but they points they have provided are not sufficient and I can't seem to elaborate on them.

1) Why did Jinnah produce his 14 points in 1929? (7)
2) how successful were negotiations aimed at independence during the Second World War? Explain your answer. (14)

I would be grateful if someone can provide accurate answers to the mentioned questions :) Also, I don't really understand the second question, so if someone could explain that to me, that would be great. I tried going through the examiners report but that wasn't much help.

Reaction score
Q. Why did Jinnah produce his 14 points?
Jinnah produced his 14 points in the All-India Muslim League conference in Dehli. He put these points forward in answer to the Nehru report which was given in 1928. It contained a few points which were against the Muslims.
This report suggested unitary form of government, joint electorates and no reserved seats for the muslims, except in the central parliament. Mr. Jinnah gave three amendments in answer to this report but the proposal was rejected. As a result Jinnah produced the 14 points in order to protect the political rights of Muslims. These points were quite comprehensive and covered all aspects of Muslim interests. Jinnah thought that it was the correct time to do so because Nehru was pressing upon the Nehru report. In the 14 points, Jinnah demanded federal form of government, separate electorates for muslims and 1/3 seats for Muslims in all cabinets which were totally against the Nehru report.
These points became the basis for the demands of Muslims and resulted in the creation of Pakistan.

Reaction score
Q. Why did Jinnah produce his 14 points?
Jinnah produced his 14 points in the All-India Muslim League conference in Dehli. He put these points forward in answer to the Nehru report which was given in 1928. It contained a few points which were against the Muslims.
This report suggested unitary form of government, joint electorates and no reserved seats for the muslims, except in the central parliament. Mr. Jinnah gave three amendments in answer to this report but the proposal was rejected. As a result Jinnah produced the 14 points in order to protect the political rights of Muslims. These points were quite comprehensive and covered all aspects of Muslim interests. Jinnah thought that it was the correct time to do so because Nehru was pressing upon the Nehru report. In the 14 points, Jinnah demanded federal form of government, separate electorates for muslims and 1/3 seats for Muslims in all cabinets which were totally against the Nehru report.
These points became the basis for the demands of Muslims and resulted in the creation of Pakistan.

Thank you :) This answer's much better than the the one given in the marking scheme...

Reaction score
For the second Q, you have to explain both sides of arguments. Ways in which they was successful as well as unsuccessful. Some events can be used on both sides of the argument. Identify both and then give a judgement explaining to what extent they were successful.

Reaction score
Why were the regional languages of Pakistan promoted? /7
How important was Jinnah to the Pakistan Movement? /14
(I can only think of a few reasons such as the Lucknow pact, 14 points etc.)
How did the success of the Muslim League in the 1945-46 elections lead to changes in British attempts to solve the problems of the sub-continent? /14
Why was Benazir Bhutto exiled? /7

'Muslims celebrated Day of Deliverance in 1939 because of congress atrocities in 1937-39'. Do you agree? Explain. /14
(14 markers require you to cover lots of points, but in this question, we can only discuss the congress tyranny...)

Can anyone answer these?

Reaction score
Whats awesome is that you don't really need the answers to these questions anymore. How was everyone's paper, BTW?

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what we had to write in the question
" reasons for decline of empire following the death of aurangzeb?"
have i written the question correctly? if yes
then what was to be in the answer
reasons for decline DURING aurangzebs reign like taxes, resentment against jizya tax, always away from delhi in battles.
or were we suppose to write
reasons for decline AFTER Aurangzebs reign like succession dispute, foreign invaders weakened empire and decline of military expertise

also what was Question 1 part a ? (all my friends and i forgot and are really wanna find out :p )
thnx people !

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what we had to write in the question
" reasons for decline of empire following the death of aurangzeb?"
have i written the question correctly? if yes
then what was to be in the answer
reasons for decline DURING aurangzebs reign like taxes, resentment against jizya tax, always away from delhi in battles.
or were we suppose to write
reasons for decline AFTER Aurangzebs reign like succession dispute, foreign invaders weakened empire and decline of military expertise

also what was Question 1 part a ? (all my friends and i forgot and are really wanna find out :p )
thnx people !

Q1 a was about the battle of plassey
What I did in part b was that I wrote the first para about Aurangzeb policies and neglect of duties as emperor and in the second para gave the problems of the empire following his death such as weak rulers ,administration ,declining military expertise e.t.c .but didn't mention of succession disputes (since only a 7 mark Q I guess 5 reasons would be enough) in the third para I explained briefly about the arrival of the British. I hope I would get my 7 :D marks but still is this the correct way anyone?

Reaction score
I just wrote about the vastness of the empire that led to invasions, lazy attitude of the successors and something else that I can't remember right now. I think all the reasons for the decline were accepted in this answer. I'm not really sure though...

Reaction score
Jinnah produced his 14 points in response to the Nehru report as the three amendments made by Jinnah were rejected i.e 1/3 representation of Muslims in both cental houses, in Punjab and Bengal there should be reserved seats for the Muslims on the basis of population for 10 years, and the residuary powers should rest with the provinces and not the central legislature.

In 1929 all-India Muslims assembled where Muhammad Ali Jinnah presented his 14 points, it stated that no law would be implemented unless it obeyed the 14 points of Jinnah. Although both the parties i.e Congress and Muslim league cooperation had come to an end they both started separate opposition towards the British. Jinnah demanded federal form of government, separate electorates for Muslims, and 1/3 seats for Muslims in all cabinets which were totally against the Nehru report.